Seriously injured jockey Freddy Tylicki has been moved out of intensive care and on to a general spinal ward.

The 30-year-old suffered a T7 paralysis when his mount Nellie Dean was involved in a four-horse pile-up at Kempton Park on October 31.

In an update on his condition, the Injured Jockeys Fund (IJF) said Freddy had been moved on to a general ward following 15 days in intensive care.

The charity added that he is likely to remain at St George’s Hospital in Tooting, where he was airlifted following the accident, for “some considerable time”.

“Freddy and his family are very relieved that his condition is improving and that he is now well enough to leave intensive care,” the statement said. “Freddy would like to thank everyone for their wonderful support and kindness during this tough time.  It has been a great comfort to him.”

Freddy also thanked all those who have supported him, in a tweet on Monday (14 November).

The IJF said that visiting times on the ward were very restricted, and that “the hospital strongly requests that visitors contact one of the family before making any plans.”

A GoFundMe page launched by racing presenter Matt Chapman in the days following the accident received overwhelming support, raising £272,000 by November 4.

The spinal injury has left Freddy with movement in his upper body but not the lower half, and his mother Irene and sister Madeleine have used the funds to set up a charitable trust on his behalf.

A spokesman for the IJF said that until the charitable trust is fully registered, anyone who wants to donate to it can do so via the IJF website www.injuredjockeys.co.uk/donations.asp and specifically request that the money goes to Freddy.

“The IJF will then hold these monies for Freddy until the trust has been established at which point all monies will be transferred with no deductions,” the spokesman said.

“The IJF will continue to support Freddy now and in future for as long as our help is needed.”