Two Ireland-based companies are coming to blows over a defamation claim that originates from last year’s horsemeat scandal.

Martin McAdam is suing ABP Food Group over a press release it issued during the height of the controversy, which named McAdam Food Products as one of its suppliers.

Mr McAdam argues that his company was “hung out” by ABP in an attempt to “deflect media attention away” from itself.

However, the High Court in Dublin ruled earlier this month (14 November) that the case cannot proceed further until Mr McAdam has raised more than half a million euros so that he can pay costs if he loses the case.

Mr McAdam has now challenged ABP to set aside the costs of €640,000 (£506,724) themselves to allow the case to go ahead.

“ABP is the largest beef processor in Europe and I hereby call on them publicly to do the honourable thing, in order to challenge me in the courts that I did supply them with horsemeat and provide evidence, for the good of the public interest and the Irish beef industry,” he told local press.

ABP denies defamation and also claims that Mr McAdam’s business was already having financial difficulties prior to the statement.

A spokesman from ABP said the company was “pleased” with the latest judgment but that it would be “inappropriate” to comment further while proceedings are ongoing.

Ref: H&H Thursday 4 December, 2014