The Australian eventing selectors have included two British-based riders on their team for the FEi Alltech World Equestrian Games (WEG).
The selected combinations are:
- Christopher Burton and Holstein Park Leilani, owned by Jean and Jade Findlay
- Sam Griffiths and Happy Times, owned by Dinah Posford and Juliet Donald
- Sonja Johnson and Ringwould Jaguar, owned by Jim and Augusta Saunders, Dan and Phoebe Johnson
- Megan Jones and Kirby Park Irish Jester, owned by Margaret and Peter Jones
- Paul Tapner and Inonothing (pictured right), owned by Jenny and Claus Waaler
- Stuart Tinney and either Vettori, owned by Peter O’Connell and Kathy Ward; or Panamera, owned by Tim Game
The British-based riders are Sam Griffiths — who was third at Badminton and Burghley with Happy Times in 2009, and this year’s Badminton winners Paul Tapner and Inonothing.
Wayne Roycroft, Australian eventing head coach, said: “I think we have the makings of a very strong team for WEG.
“We have a good mix of riders, and some experienced riders and hopefully we can come back with a really good medal and make sure we qualify for the London Olympics.”
The horses depart Sydney airport on 13 September or the eventing competition that begins on 27 September.