Hunt saboteurs descended to a new low in Co Durham last week, putting up a sign falsely claiming the South Durham’s stables has strangles.

Joint-master and huntsman Garry Watchman found a notice declaring “Strangles – no entry” outside his yard in Stockton-on-Tees at lunchtime on Wednesday (19 September).

He believes the sign had been in situ for a couple of hours before he noticed it.

“I moved it sharpish, but there were a fair few texts and emails flying around, asking if we would be autumn hunting that evening,” said Mr Watchman.

He said the hunt have been plagued by antis for the past five years.

This news story was first published in the current issue of H&H (27 September 2012)