Poisonous plants: Ragwort

BC80493F-DA71-41C2-853A-7E0441C54BA8.jpg

Ragwort

Every horse owner’s summer nightmare is digging out this ever-persistent yellow flowered plant.

One of the biggest problems with ragwort is that it is still just as toxic when it has been dried, so it can appear in hay.

The symptoms of poisoning can take many weeks to show.

Ragwort poisoning can cause the following:

  • cardiac problems
  • gastric problems
  • nervous problems
  • chronic liverdamage

    In severe cases:

  • liver failure
  • death
  • Originally published on horseandhound.co.uk