Getting insurance right — or wrong — can make a huge difference to both your horse’s welfare and your monthly outgoings. So how can you ensure you are getting it right?
Here’s H&H’s tips for getting the most out of yours:
- When choosing your policy, ensure any short-term saving on your premium won’t cause you long-term problems
- ALWAYS read the small print and familiarise yourself with your policy’s terms and conditions. Confused? Discuss with your insurer
- Make sure your horse has the right level of cover, but don’t insure him for activities he won’t be competing in. Target your insurance for the best value
- Two savvy ways to save on your premium without compromising your horse’s well-being are to consider taking out a higher excess and, if you have owned your horse for a year or longer and have loss of use cover, consider dropping that part of your policy
- Always keep an open line of dialogue with your insurer if your horse is ill/undergoing treatment.
- If you are buying a new horse, ALWAYS get him vetted. It’s almost a form of insurance in itself
Visit our insurance comparison website Horse & Hound Compare — our simple to use comparison offers a range of products to choose from to suit your needs
Read more about insurance