Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: How to convince OH to get another dog...? Or why not to?

Mille lurcher is at least 18 months old and NOTHING is established.... Mind you, that’s the joy of a rescue!

Old nag

Floyd is 18 months and horrid! He was a dream puppy, sailed through the 6 and 12 month phases with no issues at all. Clearly he was saving it up for now. Dylan is 7 and very established. He definitely helps keep Floyd in check. I cant imagine what it would be like if there were 2 Floydys disappearing over the horizon!

Quote Originally Posted by Clodagh View Post
    This is going to sound sooo argumentative, but I have had a glass of wine...
    Those of you saying two puppies is no trouble have all got dogs with issues - dog aggression, recall, whatever...perhaps if you only had one at a time (I mean puppies, not adults) this would not have happened?
    Fair point, Clodagh, but I don’t think being part of a pair has anything to do with his aggression. (Who else has littermates?) He’s fear aggressive, has to get in there first. He’s stupidly clever and needs a job/entertaining. Had I chosen both puppies, we’d have had 2 easy dogs, I think. I chose Bear because of his willingness to be snuggled in and he’s a piece of cake. Zak was the only one who escaped the pen, not one of the other ten managed it.

We had two puppies before Zak and Bear, neither of whom were problematic. They were easy to train, dog neutral, a dream. Brig still is. When the time comes, we’ll get 2 more, but I’m choosing both!

Veteran

Morning all, late to this thread, I was at Crufts yesterday, yah!

I have for many, many years had more than one dog. I like them to have canine company as long as they are bonded to me too. The established dog(s) teach the pup a lot.
    I think a good age gap is essential. 5 months is nothing, it’s still a pup, a lot of separate work would be needed.
    I currently have a 10 and a half year old, a rising 6 and a nine month old.
    The older dogs have taught my pup so much about how to behave. I had no house training issues, recall brilliant, car travel , just everything she learnt from her elders. They still need work alone so they are not dependent on the older dogs.
    It works for me.

I would say don't be hasty. Appreciate him for who he is. He is very different from the terriers you are used to.

He is only a baby, enjoy this time with him as he learns and grows, both mentally and physically. He will look to you for permission and guidance and you will develop an unbelievable bond where just a glance between you is understood. Let him become the best version of himself and then see if you still want another dog.

Old nag

I'd wait until a year old also - I have 10yo, 3yo, 2yo and 10 months here currently and the spacing for the younger ones has been good, the youngest not arriving until the older dog was well etablished

Old nag

I'm going to sound argumentative too (no wine at this hour of the day lol) but I am really not a big fan of the whole 'they exercise each other/train each other' thing....it's up to me as an owner to exercise and train my dogs, not the dogs themselves. Yes it's lovely to see dogs hooley around together but to my mind that isn't 'exercise', it's just dogs hooleying around together. Purely my opinion and no one needs to justify themselves lol.

Old nag

Quote Originally Posted by CorvusCorax View Post
    I'm going to sound argumentative too (no wine at this hour of the day lol) but I am really not a big fan of the whole 'they exercise each other/train each other' thing....it's up to me as an owner to exercise and train my dogs, not the dogs themselves. Yes it's lovely to see dogs hooley around together but to my mind that isn't 'exercise', it's just dogs hooleying around together. Purely my opinion and no one needs to justify themselves lol.
    Mine don't exercise or train each other, although a steady one is useful in helping a pup learn to honour other dog's retrieves and hunt in a brace.

Veteran

Thanks all

Veteran

Sorry late to the thread but having recently had my daughter's young vizsla to stay with Stan the BT puppy I had to comment. The size difference was a real issue, big adolescent dog + small tenacious puppy was a nightmare. We couldn't walk them together unless we put one on a lead and even then they wound each other up. They were only sensible around each other when they were both dog tired and tbh that took some doing. Would they settle and be OK together when they are older? I hope so as we share holidays and have the Viz to stay quite frequently. I used to pop into a neighbours, they have a lovely red fox lab who is nearly the same age as Stan, that is also a toxic mix, so I don't go with Stan anymore. I was so pleased to wave goodbye to the Viz (who is a really super dog) and to have my lovely stan back, he was a completely different dog for the week and not in a good way!