Sport horse

Default Pony dropping his head & high stepping

Just curious - is it something Iím doing or it is just him?!? Occasionally in the school when weíre trotting circles or serpentines my pony will really (really) lower his head and start to prance like a trotting horse. He brings his font legs very high. Iíve been worrying itís a precursor to a buck though he hasnít done so yet. Is it discomfort?? Any thoughts appreciated. Thank you.

Old nag

Default Re: Pony dropping his head & high stepping

Its really hard to be sure without a video - but it would probably be worth getting checked out. It won;t be a precursor to a buck if he has an exaggerated forelimb action. It is possible he is in pain in his back and is seeking some relief from that. Depending on his age and experience you might be inadvertently asking for a trick he has been taught by a previous owner. Or he might just be fresh and full of himself. Unless there are other signs of pain I would suggest a session with a good instructor to see what is going on. If there are other signs of pain - vet first.

Sport horse

I'm sorry for the delay in getting back to you, computer problems. I would love to post a video but nobody there to take one unfortunately. Firstly thank you for addressing my worry regarding the bucking, as you can probably tell it's rather an issue that I have in my head! It's very random when it happens - when he was being schooled professionally for a couple of weeks recently it didn't happen once, then it might happen once and not for weeks. If I thought he'd done more in the past it is almost like something he's been taught, but I don't think it can be. Perhaps you're right and I'll get the vet just to be on the safe side... Thank you for your thoughts.

Sport horse

Quote Originally Posted by Scot123 View Post
    Just curious - is it something I’m doing or it is just him?!? Occasionally in the school when we’re trotting circles or serpentines my pony will really (really) lower his head and start to prance like a trotting horse. He brings his font legs very high. I’ve been worrying it’s a precursor to a buck though he hasn’t done so yet. Is it discomfort?? Any thoughts appreciated. Thank you.
    You say he is a pony. Which breed? Welsh Cobs do have a high action in trot. If he was previously shown this action may have been trained for.