Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default BE Verses BD Dressage scoring?!

Hi,

Hoping to BE this season. 80 and possibly 90 if I can afford it!

I've been meaning to for a while but funds and time were low!

I'm in it to have fun, I've not got some big posh warmblood or proper eventing type- just my beasty, chunky native cross.

We've always scored mid 60's dressage (so 35-30 at BE), which is average I've been told, but all my dressage exploits have been A) poorly executed and these days he'll do a much more refined test, and B) scored under the tough BD Affiliated regime (not a fan- you can probably tell!)

My instructor seems to think we have a good chance at pushing more towards 70's as she thinks BE is judged more sympathetically(?) I'm just interested in other people's thoughts- strictly at 80 level for now.

Thank you!

Schoolmaster

Default Re: BE Verses BD Dressage scoring?!

BE is far more generous than BD in my experience. You quite often see 20 to 30 for tests which would scrape a 60 in affiliated dressage.

Veteran

Yes I agree, not sure if the judging is less stringent or that they are just looking for different things.

Quote Originally Posted by VRIN View Post
    Yes I agree, not sure if the judging is less stringent or that they are just looking for different things.
    That's what my instructor thinks too. I have actually had BD comments suggesting he'd be more suited to BE dressage as he prefers to work long and low and they are more fixated up that classic uphill, high head carriage (which I think is silly at my level- but hey ho!)

Quote Originally Posted by DressageCob View Post
    BE is far more generous than BD in my experience. You quite often see 20 to 30 for tests which would scrape a 60 in affiliated dressage.
    I’d say that’s stretching it slightly, a 60% BD test is not often scored 70-80% at BE I can assure you, however the sentiment is probably right in that I do think BE is in general slightly more generous, as an estimate 3-5% ish.

Quote Originally Posted by xCiaraGx View Post
    That's what my instructor thinks too. I have actually had BD comments suggesting he'd be more suited to BE dressage as he prefers to work long and low and they are more fixated up that classic uphill, high head carriage (which I think is silly at my level- but hey ho!)
    You mean that classic, uphill way of going that is a requirement for correct dressage at any level? Yeah, why would you want that, eh?

Having judged both event dressage and dressage dressage, I can tell you that they are indeed different beasties. Hence why I no longer judge event dressage.

Quote Originally Posted by xCiaraGx View Post
    what a weird thing for anyone to say! at BD?! I hope you complained.
    My baby horse prefers to bumble around on her head but she's no good at the jumpies so she will just have to learn to go in self carriage after all!!

FWIW I found BE a touch more generous than BD but not stupendously so.

Veteran

Same judges generally but a little more lenient BE given you're normally on an uneven field with xc running near by- obedience and a nice regular, rhymical and even test will score very well when BD might want a little more pizaz

Quote Originally Posted by Cortez View Post
    You mean that classic, uphill way of going that is a requirement for correct dressage at any level? Yeah, why would you want that, eh?

Having judged both event dressage and dressage dressage, I can tell you that they are indeed different beasties. Hence why I no longer judge event dressage.

No I understand that's the proper way of going. I used to work on a dressage stud. But I was talking about kiddy classes unaff. I've done two aff on day tickets and I worked hard to do okay then but I've had my boy since I was 13 and I'm not one of those special kids that gets the right horse and all the gear so it's taken till now for us to be here.
    I'm just against affiliated marking on young kids- wonder why so many kid prefer jumping- because they're not given low scores and told they "can't"... a pole down is a pole down.

Sorry bit long winded but I'm want to stress Instead not trying to state the proper way of movement is wrong- just that as a kid on a 500 pony it's not what your gunna get.

Yes and he's not built for a high head carriage. He worka well from his backend and through his back but with a lower head carriage than what's seen in high class BD.
    I'm talking Prelim here too! It's silly they expect so much from the lowest class (excusing intro)!