Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: New BE80 Championships

Quote Originally Posted by popsdosh View Post
    Yes im sure your right , I can remember the entry level being Novice when it was a true novice., LOL
    I think PN had recently been introduced when I started. I was a die hard show jumper back then that popped Xc fences for a bit of fun.
    owner asked me to take her horse in the MK3DE which we somehow won so suggested I took the horse BE. Knowing nothing about BE at the time I looked at the levels and thought Novice (as in low level) seemed a good place to start.
    Guess you can imagine my shock at first event when I saw the XC (Purston I think). Second event was Goring, third was Weston and fourth Chatsworth. Baptism by fire but loved it.
    I remember my wife walking the course at Chatsworth with me. Fence one she asked "Are you sure Wally can jump this size of XC fence", fence 5 she announced she was going back to the horsebox and didn't want to see another fence. This was back when novice fences were big bold rider frighteners.
    Might have a pony to play with

Old nag

In Scotland, I think the lower levels are so popular because we dont have that many XC courses anymore so as much as Id have liked to get my horse out to some unaffiliated ones prior to her first ODE 2 years ago - there weren't any in my area so I ended up having to do a BE80 as her first one (obviously she'd done some hunter trials etc. before then but not a full blown ODE). I like 80 for baby horses, but I hope they dont make any lower classes.

Veteran

As someone who struggles with jumping confidence, I think it's great - if that's where the demand is, then why not cater to it? Riders are different nowadays and I for one like the fact that the sport is opening up to a wider population.

Unaff events are very patchy, and of a mixed standard. Yes the lower heights won't offer a challenge to those who want bigger and bolder, but those folks have events that do that, so it's not interefering with them surely?
    I'm a Wobbleberry! I'd love it if you could make a donation to show your support for a worthy cause.

http://www.justgiving.com/fundraisin...terWobbleberry

Old nag

Quote Originally Posted by Bernster View Post
    As someone who struggles with jumping confidence, I think it's great - if that's where the demand is, then why not cater to it? Riders are different nowadays and I for one like the fact that the sport is opening up to a wider population.

Unaff events are very patchy, and of a mixed standard. Yes the lower heights won't offer a challenge to those who want bigger and bolder, but those folks have events that do that, so it's not interefering with them surely?
    Im afraid that is very far from the truth! The opportunities to get runs for horses at int and above are getting less and less partly due to organisers being able to cream in more from the lower end so not investing in the more complex courses for the higher levels. Of the venues we lose every year mostly they are the higher level ones .

I have never been able to get very excited about a dressage competition with a few jumps to go round for a bit of a spin as that is what the lower levels are gravitating to.
    Last edited by popsdosh; 06-03-18 at 11:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernster View Post

Totally agree I like to see smaller courses. I am lucky in that I am near several fantastic unaffiliated venues that run over the same courses as the affiliated events which I guess is why the cost of BE eventing was eye watering when I first started looking into affiliating. I'd pay for quality if I had to but I don't see why there can't be good quality unaffiliated events that are more affordable. As you say the demand is there so why not build the quality and put on good events to cater for that demand instead of BE doing it at BE prices.

There is a similar situation with triathlon. Ironman used to be a distance (2.4 miles swim, 112 mile bike, 26.2 mile run). Then Ironman became a brand and now you can either do 'long course' (which is ironman distance) or Ironman. Branded events are twice or 3 times the cost and usually sell out. Other long courses are often just as good but don't fill up. Many eventually fold. And get replaced with Branded races at Ironman prices again. Just extending BE classes down to lower heights could have the same effect at threatening unaffiliated classes as people decide to affiliate instead, so actually pricing people out more than encouraging them in!

Currently Cambridgeshire! (or where ever I fancy)!

I wonder if the demise of good unaffiliated and riding club competitions at the lower level is due to the introduction of lower levels at affiliated events rather then the other way around. I really struggle to find decent unaffiliated events now and it's a shame when I feel I'm not quite ready for paying the expense to affiliate. However I am glad that the BE80s will get a champs as it was a shame to pay all of that money and not have one

I'm lucky in my area as Swalcliffe, Calmsden, Aston, Tweseldown, West Wilts and Crown Farm all have unaffiliated ODEs over their affiliated courses. My PRE is definitely not a typical eventing type and I wouldn't dream of affiliating him, but it seems that BE is trying to cater for non-eventing types more with this kind of championship. Is that right? I really don't know! It's been a good money-spinner for BE to have a lot of associated champs so people are more likely to affiliate, their membership has increased but there are similar complaints about fewer higher-level competitions.

Either way it's far less of a big deal these days to 'go affiliated'. When I was a teenager we would gaze in awe at those combinations who were about to make the leap!

Just backed

Quote Originally Posted by shortstuff99 View Post
    I wonder if the demise of good unaffiliated and riding club competitions at the lower level is due to the introduction of lower levels at affiliated events rather then the other way around. I really struggle to find decent unaffiliated events now and it's a shame when I feel I'm not quite ready for paying the expense to affiliate. However I am glad that the BE80s will get a champs as it was a shame to pay all of that money and not have one
    In my experience the unaffiliated competitions disappeared before the BE80(T) arrived 10 years ago. Growing up in Essex we had a choice of hunter trials every weekend from late Feb to the start of November. The Essex Rider Cross Country League was fiercely contested, to the extent that they had to create a rule that you couldn't get points from two different venues on the same day!!

By comparison we have never had many options in the way of BE's. The landowners/organisers I have spoken to cite costs, insurance, and land sale as reasons that hunter trials have close to all dried up. There is only now two venues in the county that each host 2 hunter trials/ODE's a year that don't also run BE (2 BE venues!)

I think people can be a bit disparaging about BE80s but I think British Eventing have done a great job of growing the sport and offer some excellent training to get more people involved. I must also say that having grown up on hunter trials and never batting an eye on some (in hindsight) dodgy course building, I certainly appreciated the quality of BE courses now!

Yearling

I have done lots of unaffiliated XC/ODE and BE80 and 90. I well remember some very dodgy unaffiliated XC courses. IMO the BE80 give people a chance to have a go round safe, well designed courses at a well organised event.
    The unaffiliated XC were disappearing long before the arrival BE80 in my area. Although the Pony Club ones are still flourishing.

Veteran

We are in lancashire and basically have no unaff or aff events!!