Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Old nag

Default Re: New horse and loss of confidence

Quote Originally Posted by saz2 View Post
    Thank you for ur support. He is already less bargy so hopefully we will get there! I tried the parelli with an open mind but im not sure if we will continue it. He is a very genuine, kind boy i just dont think he has been taught how to handle himself very well.
    You don't need Parelli but you do need to never give an Appy an inch, or any excuse to take one. Ensure when you are leading that you insist that the horse responds to you immediately. By all means reward for obedience, that way the horse will understand that he is doing what you want.
    When you say xDraft, do you mean ID or heavy horse? Either way, ime you need to be consistent. My ID wasn't particularly confident but also was found to have a back muscle problem, which probably explained her behaviour. I have found Draft horses to be obstinate, bargy if allowed to be. We have had Draft horses and Appys and tbh I'm not sure that I would want a cross between the 2 incase it inherited their worst traits, rather than the best, although the best would result in a fabulous animal.
    "Don't LET him do that"

Poss ID he has a very big head. He could be a lovely horse i can see it in him. He has just learnt bad habits. He needs someone to give him clear directions and he does try to please. I need to learn how to handle him but thats hard when im scared to ride!

Old nag

Poss ID he has a very big head. He could be a lovely horse i can see it in him. He has just learnt bad habits. He needs someone to give him clear directions and he does try to please. I need to learn how to handle him but thats hard when im scared to ride!
    I wouldn't ride until the new saddle arrives. The fact that your saddle fitter says it should be ok with a Prolite pad doesn't mean that your horse agrees. Take him off the molassed chaff and concentrate on in-hand schooling. That will serve two purposes - you will get to know each other better, so that you begin to trust each other and he will begin to learn that when you give him an instruction, you expect him to follow it, quickly, whilst not putting either of you in the position of being in an uncomfortable saddle. A saddle which is uncomfortable for the rider does nothing for your confidence.
    "Don't LET him do that"

Thank you for your help. I no i will feel much better when i know we are both comfortable.

I'd also get his teeth done, just in case as you mentioned difficult to bridle. I'd stick to the menage for a while and find a nice instructor, I'd also pay someone more experienced to hack him out for you to gain his confidence. Can you hack with another sensible Horse?

I sympathize its really difficult when you lose your confidence, I know only too well how awful it can be wanting to ride but feeling sick the moment you get on.

As others have said take the time to do some ground work until the saddle has been checked. You could have some lessons with a recommended associate from intelligent horsemanship, this should sort out manners. You could stick to the parelli if you want, the basic stuff is pretty good. Also invest in a back person and get any aches and pains sorted, plus a teeth check. Eliminate pain and discomfort before getting back up. Plus address food, eliminate sugar, eliminate any cereal, eliminate any alfalfa. You horse is not doing enough to need anything that will increase his energy. you could just feed hay to be honest. I would start with some lessons, maybe with a instructor who is willing and able to get up and ride. Then start slowly and carefully and build your confidence.

I have a brilliant cob, he is a saint, he is a stunning bomb proof hack. Overfeed him , give him haylage or ponynuts and he turns in to a nutter. He can not handle the extra energy, he just bunches up, you can not channel it. Stop the extra food and he returns to being saint Ffin.
    Like Kevin's page on FB
    https://m.facebook.com/lovedhorse/

Hi, I really do sympathise. It is horrid to feel afraid of any horse let alone your own! But I don't think it is possible to tell from your descriptions whether he is basically normal or presenting enormous challenges. I also think you are making assumptions about him - which may or may not be accurate - but will almost certainly be affecting how you ride him.

We have been out hacking where he can become quite upset, cantering on the spot, has bucked. Speeds off and wont slow down, if we see another horse when out he is desperate to get to it.
    How do you know he was upset rather than say excited or fresh? How do you know he was 'desperate' rather than just wanting to say hello and not being given enough direction away from his ideas?

It is very common for a vicious cycle to develop where a horse does something fairly normal - though unwanted - and a rider gets tense and anxious and instead of just ignoring the behaviour and riding for/focusing on what you want, the focus becomes STOPPING the behaviour which rarely works and usually prolongs it. Partly because the tension transmits to the horse and partly because if you're thinking about 'bucking/cantering/running off/napping) then so is the horse! (I am convinced they can literally read minds).

After the first incident I have lost confidence and now get very tense which makes him worse.

He gets upset quite easily, is constantly looking at everything.
    This could be you not him. If you are tense he will wonder what the problem is and start looking for it! They are herd animals and if 1 spooks they all do.

How much it is settling in/trying it on?!
    May not be either of those. He could just reacting to how he is being ridden. Not helped by too much bucket feed possibly. But I think the only way you'll know is to get a confident rider to hack him out and see what they think.

If he behaves perfectly well then you need to decide how you are going to address your nerves.

If he is a challenge for them too then at least you will know that he has some issues and it may be that someone can help him gain confidence and experience for now while you ride in more controlled environments.

My daughter had a pony she was too scared to ride but after 6 months she sorted herself out and they went on to have a wonderful partnership. It CAN be done.

Good luck. x

Thank you everyone. He has had his teeth done. I will get his back checked. Is there a feed which contains no molasses and no alfalfa? I am aware that the majority of the problem is him picking up my nerves. He has tried it on with an experienced rider who obviously wasnt un-nerved by him so he settled again. My instructor will ride for me so that will help. It might be freshness... he has been ridden consistently and then showed this behaviour. When im not on him and just leading him he can shoot off get worked-up - when i would be feeling more relaxed.

Not slacking-multitasking

plenty of feeds that fit that description, in particular there are plain straw and grass chaffs (some of the grass ones are high in sugar/calories than others though and I presume you don't need much).
    Or if you want something you can soak there are a variety of haycobs available, fast fibre etc.

Ok he can keep his fast fibre then and i will find a plain chaff.