Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lorry issues :(

Just backed

Default Re: Lorry issues :(

If you still had oil pressure ,even if low ,then it is unlikely that you have done the bearings and crank. Oil not showing on dipstick but gauge showing pressure is acceptable . Red oil light on , dead engine.Master warning light on and temperature high could mean one of two things. No water and possibly cracked head/block , or water system iced up (radiator goes first)The second option is more likely and is by far the better option. I suspect you might just get away with this . Top up oil , add antifreeze till full (or at least 1 gallon antifreeze. thgen run the thing. Check that nothing is leaking and take for a very local test drive.

Old nag

Quote Originally Posted by Bob notacob View Post
    If you still had oil pressure ,even if low ,then it is unlikely that you have done the bearings and crank. Oil not showing on dipstick but gauge showing pressure is acceptable . Red oil light on , dead engine.Master warning light on and temperature high could mean one of two things. No water and possibly cracked head/block , or water system iced up (radiator goes first)The second option is more likely and is by far the better option. I suspect you might just get away with this . Top up oil , add antifreeze till full (or at least 1 gallon antifreeze. thgen run the thing. Check that nothing is leaking and take for a very local test drive.
    Im with Bob notacob or whoever he may be :-) Top up and running is not likely to do more damage so there is not much downside. However it will tell you a lot about where the issue is. Obviously if the water is already pouring out of an orifice you dont need to run it. That engine is actually about as bombproof as they get and have very few mechanical issues. The temp gauge not working is not so much of a problem as most rely on water contact to register.
    When you take out the dip stick is the oil grey ? Air brake issue also likely due to ice in the system ! when did you last vent the tanks of water?
    Last edited by popsdosh; 06-03-18 at 08:46 AM.

Just backed

Im with Bob notacob or whoever he may be :-)
    [/QUOTE]
    Hi Popsdosh ,its only me Mike 007. I have had to re register as I can no longer recover my password as Orange have discontinued their email service and the messages from HHO keep going to a defunct address.

Thanks guys.

Mechanic still not been says he will go out tomorrow.

Checked Oil, and there is a tiny amount on the end of the dipstick. Looks OK, so doesn't seems as though water has got in there.

Phew, so long as a haven't totally buggered my engine it'll be OK. I had a feeling they could be quite robust.

Think with the cold weather it has definitely frozen, so anti-freeze, oil and water should fix it. Fingers crossed!

Old nag

Quote Originally Posted by Bob notacob View Post
    Im with Bob notacob or whoever he may be :-)
    Hi Popsdosh ,its only me Mike 007. I have had to re register as I can no longer recover my password as Orange have discontinued their email service and the messages from HHO keep going to a defunct address.[/QUOTE]

Yes it was in humour ,I thought you were trying to hide your identity! LOL

Old nag

Quote Originally Posted by BethanT View Post
    Thanks guys.

Mechanic still not been says he will go out tomorrow.

Checked Oil, and there is a tiny amount on the end of the dipstick. Looks OK, so doesn't seems as though water has got in there.

Phew, so long as a haven't totally buggered my engine it'll be OK. I had a feeling they could be quite robust.

Think with the cold weather it has definitely frozen, so anti-freeze, oil and water should fix it. Fingers crossed!
    Have you put any water in yet as you will most likely have blown something hence the sudden lose of water. most likely the rad as it is the weakest point. If your lucky a hose.
    Last edited by popsdosh; 06-03-18 at 09:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by popsdosh View Post
    Have you put any water in yet as you will most likely have blown something hence the sudden lose of water. most likely the rad as it is the weakest point. If your lucky a hose.
    No I haven't dared touch it to be honest.

Totally clueless when it come to the mechanics of it all, and feeling rather foolish. Will definitely be checking EVERYTHING before I use it now.