Default Tips for a hot horse

So we have come on leaps and bounds already. But just wondered if anyone has any schooling tips for a sharp/hot horse. Has mainly showjumped before I got him so flat work wasn't amazing. He has a lot to give as when we get it he is fab but tension we need to sort which is fine at home just out competing I have found a lot of turning and keeping him busy in walk helped us massively just getting him listening but what also helps is me remembering to actually ride haha.. He can get a little strong when he is lacking confidence . I do just keep him moving around the arena doing anything so he has think. Which has helped massively. He is sensitive to your leg but a lot better than he used to be as couldn't even have leg on and he would shoot forward.

He has chilled massively and is a pleasure to ride especially once crack stuff. If i look back when I got him four years ago. The change is great he originally wouldnt lower his head and was tight through his back. where he now carries himself and works through his back.. Just want to be a bit more consistent and was after schooling exercises to help us both if anyone can help us mix up our sessions a bit.

Do have an instructor but nice to have different opinions. I just want to sort the dressage as would like to do some riding club eventing and things like that.

Currently Cambridgeshire! (or where ever I fancy)!

Default Re: Tips for a hot horse

Best thing for a hot horse is to learn to keep the leg ON. When they are hot they have a tendency to 'make' you keep your leg off, and then they aren't actually on your aids. Good tips for that is lots of moving in and out on a circle, leg yielding and shoulder in etc, then they learn that leg on doesn't have to mean go faster! Also it's best to always have the leg on and just very the pressure otherwise they can start over-reacting to leg on and leg off.

Quote Originally Posted by shortstuff99 View Post
    Best thing for a hot horse is to learn to keep the leg ON. When they are hot they have a tendency to 'make' you keep your leg off, and then they aren't actually on your aids. Good tips for that is lots of moving in and out on a circle, leg yielding and shoulder in etc, then they learn that leg on doesn't have to mean go faster! Also it's best to always have the leg on and just very the pressure otherwise they can start over-reacting to leg on and leg off.
    That is great thank you. He is a lot better with your leg as i do lots of circles etc to have him accept leg. I dont keep it off him as he does settle more now with you using it. I dont give him credit really to how much he has come on.

Currently Cambridgeshire! (or where ever I fancy)!

Quote Originally Posted by moodymare1987 View Post
    That is great thank you. He is a lot better with your leg as i do lots of circles etc to have him accept leg. I dont keep it off him as he does settle more now with you using it. I dont give him credit really to how much he has come on.
    Great stuff! If he's more accepting of the leg now, might be worth starting to put gears into the paces, so introduce a big trot, a normal trot and a small trot etc then he's also learning to wait for you and you're getting control of the pace.

Quote Originally Posted by shortstuff99 View Post
    This exactly, just think of it as giving a soft hug like holding his hand, but it is your leg, so he knows where your leg is
    all the time. Keep them moving, ride forward, change tempo, transitions within the walk, trot, canter, keep them thinking and concentrating on you. With rests when they can stretch and relax for a bit and then back to work.

Thank you guys, really helpful suggestions. I would have put this into practice already but given how much snow we have had not been possible. Hoping for everything to thaw this week. Fingers crossed