Thread: Very worried

Default Very worried

About 3 weeks ago I had the chiropractor out for a routine visit to my horse and when we trotted her up the chiro noticed she was dropping her hip to the right in walk and trot, this confirmed what I had been thinking watching her move and riding her but I hadn't really looked at her standing up square before that point and when the chiro pointed out how assymetrical she was I started to worry. The chiro is very knowledgeable and wasn't nearly as concerned as I was which reassured me, treated her and booked in a date for two weeks time (yesterday). Exactly a week after the first visit (last Monday) I noticed her right hock is swollen, the swelling is soft but on both the inside and outside of the joint (I have pics but I've no idea how to upload to this forum), this is after 3 days rest and 2 days light work so nothing strenuous. When the chiro came yesterday I pointed this out to her and explained I was worried because tha'ts the same side as the drpped hip and we trotted her up again and both agreed she's not 'lame' but she's still dropping her right hip.
    The chiropractor has suggested the uneveness could have been from a fall in the field (she does gallop around and play a lot), she gave her H-wave treatment and manipulated her, prescribed 3 days rest and then call the vet if no improvement in the hock.
    There is no heat in the swelling and she doesn't seem to be in any pain, I can squeeze it and I've not seen her resting it more than the other leg. My question is, has anybody dealt with this kind of wonkyness before? It seems too much of a coincidence for the hock to not be related to the hip but why would it flare up after treatment? I'm really working myself up over this becuase she's such a lovely girl and she's only 6 so things like this don't bode well for the future...
    TIA

Default Re: Very worried

If she is dropping her hip she is lame, it may be minor but the chiro should not be treating a lame horse that has not been seen or diagnosed by a vet, she should immediately refer back to the vet you normally use not continue to treat a horse with an obvious injury, you also run the risk of any insurance claim being refused because you have not involved the vet as soon as you knew there was an issue.

I regularly use a physio and they would never work without involving the vet when a horse is lame, however knowledgeable they may be they are not doing right by you or your horse as it sounds far more serious than she is suggesting, some therapists can drag things out rather than getting a vet involved, hopefully it is nothing to worry about but if she was mine I would have booked the vet by now.

Quote Originally Posted by be positive View Post
    If she is dropping her hip she is lame, it may be minor but the chiro should not be treating a lame horse that has not been seen or diagnosed by a vet, she should immediately refer back to the vet you normally use not continue to treat a horse with an obvious injury, you also run the risk of any insurance claim being refused because you have not involved the vet as soon as you knew there was an issue.

I regularly use a physio and they would never work without involving the vet when a horse is lame, however knowledgeable they may be they are not doing right by you or your horse as it sounds far more serious than she is suggesting, some therapists can drag things out rather than getting a vet involved, hopefully it is nothing to worry about but if she was mine I would have booked the vet by now.
    completely agree with this.
    All the sounds dear to a horseman were around me - the snort of the horses as they cleared their throats, the gentle swish of their tails, the tinkle of irons as we flung the saddles over their backs - little sounds of no importance, but they stay in the unconscious library of memory.
    Rest In Peace Ebony my horse of a lifetime 16.06.2012

SECRET SANTA CLOSING DATE: 31/10/2017

Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by be positive View Post

This, completely.

If it was me I would be getting the vet in. A horse going from straight to significantly wonky in a short time span could be a sign of a fairly significant injury, and equally could start to cause other problems if she is left wonky to long

Quote Originally Posted by confirmedponyaddict View Post
    The chiropractor has suggested the uneveness could have been from a fall in the field (she does gallop around and play a lot), she gave her H-wave treatment and manipulated her, prescribed 3 days rest and then call the vet if no improvement in the hock.
    TIA
    Was it a chiropractor you had or a veterinary physio? Surprised a chiropractor is allowed to use H-Wave treatment on a horse as I would have thought that was the domain of a physio myself but I might be wrong. Whenever I've booked a chiro in for my horse they always ask on the phone if they have seen the vet first which I think they have to insist. Of course you can say yes and they wouldn't be any the wiser but could cause problems by manipulating something that is wrong for another reason other than skeletal/muscular.