Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Riding hat help

Default Riding hat help

Hi. Iím new into riding and I want to get my own hat. The two brands the shop I went to were champion and Charles Owen. I was between size 57 and 58 in one and between 58 and 59 in the other. The lady told me to ask around to see what people would do in this situation. She said all the other places nearby also sold only these two brands and doing a search online for other tack shops is proving fruitless. Iím near aberaeron. Any advice greatly appreciated. TIA

Default Re: Riding hat help

A different style hat made by same manufacturer could fit differently?

Fiona

Thank you. I tried all the ones around the £60 mark. The next jump was up to £114 which seemed expensive.

Old nag

Any qualified hat fitter will use spacer material to adjust the fit - basically self adhesive padded strips which are fixed inside the liner to customize the hat fit to the head. I'm slightly surprised this wasn't offered. The basic head shape for the two makes is slightly different with Charles Owen being more round and Champion more oval -the choice will depend on which actually fits your head shape better. Were you actually in a shop with a qualified fitter?

Sounds like you need a different fitter. Maybe a dial type hat would be more suitable as you can adjust it to suit.

She said about tape but said you canít put that much in. She seemed to know what she was talking about but really at this point anyone and everyone knows more than me so I couldnít say how knowledgeable she was. They all felt pretty comfy but she was sticking her fingers in various places and said they didnít fit.

Old nag

If a qualified fitter states that the hat cannot be made to fit you then it can't. If the hat doesn't fit - don't buy it! You're going to need to find another make or go up a few price points I'm afraid.

Dial type hats are a possibility as the fit can be adjusted - but be careful that it meets current standards. You won't be allowed to ride at the riding school you choose if your had does not have as a minimum PAS015. Sadly there are a lot of discount retailers who do cheap hats which do not meet this standard.

No I definitely donít want to buy one that doesnít fit. She said she could sell me one but she couldnít tell me that it fit so I said no. I used to be a motorcyclist and I know how important the helmet is. With them it was said donít consider buying anything under £100 (nearly 20 years ago), is there a rule of thumb for riding hats would you say? Iím willing to spend more money if I have to, I just didnít want to do so unnecessarily.

Resident irriot The Fuzzy Furry's Avatar

If you were a biker, are you a Shoei or an Arai fit? You'll know the big difference between the way those fit. - chalk & cheese.
    If an Arai, you'd be worth looking at the Gatehouse RXC1 type (but not the H1 or 2) and the Charles own 'Kids Own' range as they seem to fit better than the adult range.
    Growing old disgracefully.......VERY disgracefully

Fuzzy Furry thank you!! Iím an Arai. Shoei give me a headache. That makes total sense, Iíll try the Gatehouse as you recommend, now just to find someone selling them I feel sense of relief after the frustration of yesterday.