Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123458 ... LastLast
    Sport horse

Default Re: Cudo's continuing adventures in America

Quote Originally Posted by BunnyDog View Post
    Ok so this will be a bit clear as mud but let me try.

I used to be a professional (I taught lessons to 3 friends and was paid for training rides of other people's horses)

Then I decided it would be more accurate and more fun to get my amateur status back and compete in the amateur classes/divisions.

Ok... so the divisions that I compete in are the Adult Amateur Jumper - High division (1.10 meters) and the ultimate goal would be the Amateur Owner jumper division. That has low(1.20-25), med (1.30 - 35) and high (1.40) heights.

With my greener horses I would go in the variety of choices around 1m or lower, low AA jumper, Thoroughbred Jumper, or the like. We have age classes as well but none of my horses fall into those ranges anymore.

Certain classes are open to all. Height classes for example... Training or schooling jumper is usually written up in the prize list as "Training jumper 0.95 m" or "Schooling Jumper 1.20m." ANYONE can go in those classes.

There are divisions separated down by Juniors, amateurs and horses that are owned by an amateur owner.

To help I am going to share a link to a rather big show that happens in May, Old Salem Farm.

https://cdn.flipsnack.com/widget/v2/...E&t=1519335096

Ok a couple short hand explanations:

AA (Adult Amateur)
    YJC - Young Jumper Classes

Take a look at that and feel to ask follow up questions.

Em
    Ah much clearer thank you! I was getting confused with the classifications but now can read my head around them a bit more! Good luck with the season.
    It doesn’t matter whether you win or lose, it’s how you play the game

Just backed

Quote Originally Posted by ahml100 View Post
    Ah much clearer thank you! I was getting confused with the classifications but now can read my head around them a bit more! Good luck with the season.
    I know how you feel. I had no idea about your levels of jumpers when I started looking. Frankly I was laughing because with Foxhunters being 1.20 I could only think of a handful of fox hunter friends here on this side of the pond who could survive doing a course at that height. A foxhunter class at a show here is roughly 2'6" (I think that's close to 0.75m). Ha Ha Ha.

Em

Foxhunter was a famous show jumper ridden by Harry Llewellyn, the show jumping classes are named after that horse, hence the size of the feces.

Just backed

Quote Originally Posted by Faracat View Post
    Foxhunter was a famous show jumper ridden by Harry Llewellyn, the show jumping classes are named after that horse, hence the size of the feces.
    OMG.... that makes so much more sense!!!!!!!

The things you learn in life!!!!

Em

*fences

Urg... typo!

Just backed

That could well be one of the greatest typos....EVER.

Em

It's a good job that I didn't accidently put an 'a' in there! *eek*

Quote Originally Posted by Faracat View Post
    It's a good job that I didn't accidently put an 'a' in there! *eek*
    I think the 'a' might be irrelevant in the States

Oh no! How embarrassing!

I've so enjoyed following your search for a horse, and hearing about the differences (and OMG the prices) between the UK and USA, and following Cudo's epic journey over to you too.

I'm just a few miles from where you found Cudo - what a lovely horse he is- I'm so looking forward to seeing how you do with him once you'e competing, and generally, and wish you every success with him.