Default Physiotherapy problems

Has anyone had any bad experiences with physiotherapists/chiropractors/osteopathy/sports massage ? How do i know if they are properly educated prior to treatment ? Are there any types i should avoid? I'm finding it such minefield to navigate this industry and find reliable therapists !!!!!
    Thanks

Default Re: Physiotherapy problems

Just get an ACPAT registered physio. They are all properly qualified.

Does ACPAT simply mean qualified in human physio first ?

Veteran

Written in error
    Last edited by Snitch; 15-02-18 at 07:31 PM.
    Dogs have owners. Horses have staff.

Schoolmaster

There's also the RAMP register http://www.rampregister.org/

I think it is aspiring to be a registry for properly qualified animal bodyworkers, but not strictly limited to physiotherapists (as ACPAT is), i.e. also including osteopaths, chiropractors etc. I only recently came across this, so I really don't know how their qualification requirements stack up against ACPAT, but I'm sure it's somewhere on the webpage.

I also find it very difficult to find the "right" body worker. ACPAT is a great starting point, but sometimes I think a horse may benefit more/also from some type of manipulation, and most of the ACPAT physios I've had were only using a variety of massage techniques. I think word of mouth is still one of the better ways to find someone who is good at what they do.

Schoolmaster

Quote Originally Posted by supsup View Post
    There's also the RAMP register http://www.rampregister.org/

I think it is aspiring to be a registry for properly qualified animal bodyworkers, but not strictly limited to physiotherapists (as ACPAT is), i.e. also including osteopaths, chiropractors etc. I only recently came across this, so I really don't know how their qualification requirements stack up against ACPAT, but I'm sure it's somewhere on the webpage.

I also find it very difficult to find the "right" body worker. ACPAT is a great starting point, but sometimes I think a horse may benefit more/also from some type of manipulation, and most of the ACPAT physios I've had were only using a variety of massage techniques. I think word of mouth is still one of the better ways to find someone who is good at what they do.
    This. ACPAT is a great starting point, however we have a shockingly poor ACPAT physio locally so I'd rather go for a word of mouth recommendation.

Veteran

Ask your vet for a recommendation. For most 'complementary' treatments you are supposed to get the go ahead from your vet first although I accept that this very rarely does happen.