Thread: Rain Scald

Schoolmaster

Default Rain Scald

Help! My elderly retired mare has got rain scald and I'm at a bit of a loss what to do about it. She has cushings (which is well controlled with prascend) although she has, and has always had in winter, a woolly mammoth coat. She has been lightly rugged all winter as she lives out 24/7 and has arthritis. She has obviously sweated under the rug at some stage as she has patches of rain scald all over her back. I've clipped her back and washed the scabs with hibiscrub. Obviously I've had to re-rug her. Is there anything else I should do? I'm wondering if I should ask the vet to give her antibiotics??

Veteran

Default Re: Rain Scald

Now you've clipped the affected area, you need to get a bottle of maleseb and wash her in that. Every day for the first 3-5 days and then every 3 days after that until it has cleared.

It works wonders!

Veteran

Every time the sun comes out get the rug off, sunshine is your friend and luckily there will be more and more of it now we're heading towards spring

Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by TheMule View Post
    Every time the sun comes out get the rug off, sunshine is your friend and luckily there will be more and more of it now we're heading towards spring
    Yes I was going to suggest that, will be good to get the air on it.
    O difícil está feito, e o impossível só leva mais tempo - Salgueiro Maia, 25 de Abril 1974

Schoolmaster

You are doing the right thing. 100ml hibiscrub to 5 ltres warm water. Try to work it in with a soft brush then rinse. Dry thoroughly and specially before re rugging. Probably need doing 3 or 4 times.
    If it is very sore ask the vet for some flamazine ointment but don't use any other ointment. If it doesn't start to clear up you may need antibiotics but vets don't really like prescribing these.

Old nag

I would now spray with tea-tree spray, either Equimins or Oz oil, it is anti-bacterial and anti-fungal and extremely effective.
    "Don't LET him do that"

Veteran

2 years ago I had to stop rugging my retired polar bear. He had it and it was nasty, as others have said we're the right side of the winter for sun to be on your side. Any sort of sensible weather get the rug off, even if only for an hour or so.

We've had some horrific weather this year and I have relented and put a rug on a couple of days, only to find him wet inside it after a few hours of it being maybe 3 degrees! It's a brand new good branded rug that I know isn't leaking.
    So it's in or snow for him from now on.