Default Why is it so hard to find a saddle!

I've been looking for a decent jump or event saddle for about 6 months. They fit her but not me, or me but not her. I finally thought I'd found one that fitted us both and bought it. But she seems to hate it. Really has not gone well in it since she was using it. I have been feeling that my riding has gone to pot recently as she has been tense/stroppy/evasive and bracey. But yesterday my RI rode her and said it's her not you - she's being a nightmare. We swapped her into my YO's saddle and she went like a dream. It fits her perfectly and she almost visibly sighed in relief and did some lovely work.

Only problem is it's a 2.5 grand Butet. So about 2k over budget! Perhaps not.

Grrrrr back to square one. Have sent the other saddle back as although it looks like it should fit she is clearly uncomfortable with it. So saddle-less and fed up!

Pointless post really. Just venting.....

Veteran

Default Re: Why is it so hard to find a saddle!

I've just swapped to a K&M with a silver (widest!!!) gullet for Gracie and I'm not sure she's that keen on it either. She's on a diet, but I don't truly believe she will drop a gullet size as it is her shoulders that have spread and grown...but I'm limted for choice with the width she needs!

Best get saving for that Butet is that's what Amber wants!! lol
    "There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man"
    Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Coblover63 View Post
    Best get saving for that Butet is that's what Amber wants!! lol
    Haha if I can juts take a year off riding while I save!

Schoolmaster

I really struggled to find a saddle to fit my Sec D. I ended up getting a local saddler to make her one. It cost £800 which I thought was a really good price and it’s a lovely saddle exactly to my specifications.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambers Echo View Post
    I've been looking for a decent jump or event saddle for about 6 months. They fit her but not me, or me but not her. I finally thought I'd found one that fitted us both and bought it. But she seems to hate it. Really has not gone well in it since she was using it. I have been feeling that my riding has gone to pot recently as she has been tense/stroppy/evasive and bracey. But yesterday my RI rode her and said it's her not you - she's being a nightmare. We swapped her into my YO's saddle and she went like a dream. It fits her perfectly and she almost visibly sighed in relief and did some lovely work.

Only problem is it's a 2.5 grand Butet. So about 2k over budget! Perhaps not.

Grrrrr back to square one. Have sent the other saddle back as although it looks like it should fit she is clearly uncomfortable with it. So saddle-less and fed up!

Pointless post really. Just venting.....
    See, when I got Jay I already had 2 Butets (XC and Dressage). The two previous horses had loved them, but Jay hated them! I had an Ideal Monoflap which was better but still not right, tried dozens including a Saddle Research day, Solution, Wow and eventually gave up and had a Semiflex.

As soon as he went in the Semiflex it was as if he had been doing 6 months of schooling. It was sooooo nice even though I hated them!

Sold the Butets, lost a stack of money, now have 2 saddles that I don't like, but the horse did!

Wish mine had liked Butet. At least it would have been one I liked too.

Get on with it.

Welcome to my world....

Current one fits neither of us well. She is so wide that I think next purchase is going to need a completely rethought saddle design..... and it don't come cheap!
    Love a lot, trust a few, but always paddle your own canoe...

TOWING CLINIC
    = http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forum...d.php?t=490195