Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 51
  1. #11
    Schoolmaster
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    950

    Default Re: Airowear Body Protectors V Point 2 Air Vests

    Quote Originally Posted by ycbm View Post
    Well that's not true, because I don't
    Nor me. I have a Helite gilet.
    ...all Grandmas are created equal, but the ones who ride horses are awesome!

  2. #12
    Just backed
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    166

    Default Re: Airowear Body Protectors V Point 2 Air Vests

    I have a Airowear body protector they are Ok but not much good if you fall on your side, just bought a Racesafe protector to replace it , much better and you do not know you have it on it is so comfy. The Mrs won a Point two Air vest at Badminton and we have never used it not sure why. Expect I will in the spring when I am doing more cross country.

    Air jackets are not as good in the case of a fast rotational fall where you may still be in the saddle, I had one but jumped clear, just.
    Last edited by GTRJazz; 09-02-18 at 10:26 PM.

  3. #13
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Devon
    Posts
    1,335

    Default Re: Airowear Body Protectors V Point 2 Air Vests

    Quote Originally Posted by asmp View Post
    And just to throw a spanner into the works, on the last thread here about air jackets, everyone seemed to prefer Hit Air
    Yup that is the one I am going for, it seems to be a bit neater fitting and not as baggy. It will be for general everyday riding and competing.

  4. #14
    Old nag
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    6,173

    Default Re: Airowear Body Protectors V Point 2 Air Vests

    See you always avoid the ultimate question YCBM how can you advise people to use an air jacket instead of a BP as they do not give the same degree of protection . They are more comfortable to wear thats a given however with that comes a downside and that is that they are not infallible and more likely to fail in the most injury sustaining situations if you dont agree please show me the evidence that they always work as I know of several occassions when they havent. As I said ask yourself why they are not allowed in competitition on their own and why they have never passed any BETA testing. As I see it and its nothing to do with P2 they are like not using contraception when you dont want a baby many times you wont get pregnant but on a small percentage of times you will.
    OP if protection in all situations is important to you wear a BP and to be honest the Racesafe is about the best for comfort in everyday use. If your comfort is more important than total safety go with any of the air jackets but be aware of the risk involved in that choice as it would be negligent not to make a user aware.

  5. #15

    Default Re: Airowear Body Protectors V Point 2 Air Vests

    The question is what gives the most protection.
    The answer is a body protector + an air jacket (although some may disputes that)
    Followed by a body protector alone
    Followed by an air jacket

    Governing bodies do not allow riders to go xc in just an air jacket and there is a bloody good safety reason for that.

    Personally I hate riding in body protectors and, as I no longer event myself, choose to wear an air jacket on its own in certain situations. I do it because it is far more comfy and less restrictive and for the type of fall Im more likely to encounter should offer me some protection. But its a risk balance and I would never try and convince anyone its the most protective option!

  6. #16
    Not slacking-multitasking
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Cambridge
    Posts
    42,178

    Default Re: Airowear Body Protectors V Point 2 Air Vests

    but unless Im wearing an exo a BP isn't going to do much to help me if the horse rolls over me either?

    They are allowed in competitions on their own unless you are going XC? Surely everything is a risk/benefit analysis the same as not using contraception .

    I currently have functioning versions of neither, I struggle to wear a BP for longer than an XC round (and racesafes dont really fit me, boob issues ) so if and when I do get another horse from a day to day point of view I will certainly be exploring the air jacket route. I don't think just because they don't do some things doesn't mean they don't have a helpful place.

  7. #17
    Old nag
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    6,173

    Default Re: Airowear Body Protectors V Point 2 Air Vests

    Quote Originally Posted by ester View Post
    but unless Im wearing an exo a BP isn't going to do much to help me if the horse rolls over me either?

    They are allowed in competitions on their own unless you are going XC? Surely everything is a risk/benefit analysis the same as not using contraception .

    I currently have functioning versions of neither, I struggle to wear a BP for longer than an XC round (and racesafes dont really fit me, boob issues ) so if and when I do get another horse from a day to day point of view I will certainly be exploring the air jacket route. I don't think just because they don't do some things doesn't mean they don't have a helpful place.
    See this is my argument I have never said that they dont have a use even though a certain poster tries to make out to the contrary . BPs actually offer a fair amount of protection if a horse rolls over you thats why they have been tested to that level. IHWs list just about sums up the risk analysis. There is nothing an air jacket protects you from that a BP wont but that cannot be said the other way round as there is always a condition that has to be met before the protection is of any use!
    The start of your third Paragragh above made me chuckle wasnt sure what you were talking about

  8. #18
    Old nag ycbm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    14,349

    Default Re: Airowear Body Protectors V Point 2 Air Vests

    Quote Originally Posted by ihatework View Post
    The question is what gives the most protection.
    The answer is a body protector + an air jacket (although some may disputes that)
    Followed by a body protector alone
    Followed by an air jacket
    This list isn't correct. The first is right bit what comes second depends entirely on the fall. In a fall directly onto the end of your spine, a body protector is too short to offer any protection at all. If you fall flat on your back onto tarmac or concrete, you'd be badly winded in a BP and bounce in an air jacket. In a fall where you spin into a fence backwards and connect with your neck, a BP is again useless. In a fall into something pointed, you'd be more protected by a BP. And so on.



    But its a risk balance and I would never try and convince anyone its the most protective option!
    Who does?
    Last edited by ycbm; 10-02-18 at 10:23 AM.
    Small Print: The view expressed in this post is my own. You should take no action on any opinion given without verifying the facts for yourself. Like all humans,I can be wrong. Polite correction is welcomed.

  9. #19
    Old nag
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    6,173

    Default Re: Airowear Body Protectors V Point 2 Air Vests

    Quote Originally Posted by Piglet View Post
    Yup that is the one I am going for, it seems to be a bit neater fitting and not as baggy. It will be for general everyday riding and competing.
    So are you competing CC at any level, Team chasing ,P to p or Driving . Just pointing out if you are you will need a BP as well

  10. #20
    Old nag ycbm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    14,349

    Default Re: Airowear Body Protectors V Point 2 Air Vests

    Quote Originally Posted by popsdosh View Post
    BPs actually offer a fair amount of protection if a horse rolls over you thats why they have been tested to that level.
    I would choose to wear an air jacket in a crush fall over a body protector. If fitted correctly, the air creates a semi-rigid cage, which then disperses pressure out over the whole jacket. Yes, only if it is blown up, but it is actually very difficult to fall in any way at all, with or without the horse, without it going off, as this clip shows:


    https://youtu.be/e7vy78XgcLU



    There is nothing an air jacket protects you from that a BP wont
    Except for all the areas, including your neck and the end of your spine, which a BP does not cover. Just take a look at one PD, how can you even think of making that assertion?
    Last edited by ycbm; 10-02-18 at 10:35 AM.
    Small Print: The view expressed in this post is my own. You should take no action on any opinion given without verifying the facts for yourself. Like all humans,I can be wrong. Polite correction is welcomed.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Find Horses For Sale