Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Schoolmaster

Default Re: Training to stand quietly on the lorry

Quote Originally Posted by MissGee View Post
    My OH's horse is a bit of a nightmare like this, think he's just nosey and likes to know where he is. So we tend unload him as soon as we arrive anywhere, take him for a walk around the lorry park (so he knows where he is) and then load him back up. He'll then stand as quiet as a mouse ;-)
    Next time out I shall try this approach I think. Might confuse her if nothing else ��

Have you tried getting some mirror like reflective sticky plastic sheeting and putting it somewhere in the truck so the horse can see the "other horse's" reflection? Someone recommended this to me for my own horse during the week. I haven't tried it yet but its on my to do list...

Something along the lines of this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mirror-Inst.../dp/B01H2T4QW4

Veteran

Similar to others - I used to have one who would get herself in a complete tiz and no amount of leaving her in that state would improve the situation, her brain would just wind itself into ever decreasing circles. She also couldn't be tied up as she broke everything, so I had to get her reasonable at staying on the lorry. And as others have said, the best method was to keep her in her comfort zone and work out a routine that allowed her to calm herself and then gradually expand it. So it was arrive, take her off, walk in hand, put back on, take off, walk around, tack up, ride, to start with, gradually shortening times and cutting bits out.

Schoolmaster

Thanks everyone. I’ll definitely be trying the unloading, walking and reloading routine on our next trip out.

Sport horse

great advice. my boy is 20 and still gets very excited about getting off the trailer particularly if he is somewhere new or somewhere that is particularly busy. he can take several minutes to load (although that has improved over the years - we just keep going out and I keep him calm and load him on my own) he is angelic once he is on and to travel ( I often load him and then go back a muck his stable out because he is absolutely fine once he is on the trailer). my advice is persevere quietly. I always go out on my own and we have been all over the place. he is 17.2 and can be a handful I just ignore him and quietly he has learnt that it is ok and mum will protect him. ignore advice from other people on show grounds. they mean well but rarely do I find they help . I also put the front down on the trailer when we get anywhere and then just ignore him.
    Quote Originally Posted by milliepops View Post
    My welsh used to be a terrible traveller - I had to set off as soon as I had her bundled into the lorry to stop her causing a ruckus and she needed to be unloaded immediately on arrival or she'd start up again. With the force and violence to break something or herself I know that fear only too well, OP.

Firstly - she is now good to load, travels like a dream and will stand on the box for hours quite happily.

What I did was stick to the routine that kept her safe and didn't unduly stress her - so got off on arrival and given something to do: lead around, ride, tie up with a net to watch other horses etc. When she was a little bit less fresh, I'd put her back on and stand with her for 5/10 mins or so. Then off, and ride again, or tie up with a haynet. and repeat like that - gradually building to having her on the box while I stood in the back, or sat in the cab.

When we had that bit nailed, I gradually left it longer and longer on arrival before getting her off the box. I left the doors closed but I could see and talk to her through the window into the cab.

Don't know if that helps - but I really thought mine would be a nightmare for a long time but these little learning task really helped and she's lovely to take out and about now.

Schoolmaster

Quote Originally Posted by claret09 View Post
    great advice. my boy is 20 and still gets very excited about getting off the trailer particularly if he is somewhere new or somewhere that is particularly busy. he can take several minutes to load (although that has improved over the years - we just keep going out and I keep him calm and load him on my own) he is angelic once he is on and to travel ( I often load him and then go back a muck his stable out because he is absolutely fine once he is on the trailer). my advice is persevere quietly. I always go out on my own and we have been all over the place. he is 17.2 and can be a handful I just ignore him and quietly he has learnt that it is ok and mum will protect him. ignore advice from other people on show grounds. they mean well but rarely do I find they help . I also put the front down on the trailer when we get anywhere and then just ignore him.
    Another vote for quite, steady, comfortable repetition. It's taken us years to get my boy to load well and stand on the trailer. The thing that has made the biggest difference has been doing monthly riding club comps. His routine is always the same so he knows what's going on and that he is guaranteed his haynet inside the trailer, if he's outside it is at my discretion whether he gets it (usually about 10 minutes before I want to load up again it is removed). After 18 months of going out this time we finally had a completely uneventful trip last weekend: loaded fine, stood on the trailer while I sorted entries, etc. Stood on to be brushed off, loaded back on and stood eating between classes (it was chucking it down) and walked on to go home with no fuss. I won't say we have cracked it, I think he will always have his "issues" with loading but I have made sure the trailer is now his "safe space".

Quote Originally Posted by milliepops View Post

She was the same about loading, she was impossible until I could get her to focus on the ramp and the interior of the lorry and digest the idea - you see it all the time, people trying to load horses who are not remotely paying attention to the lorry but looking at everything else around them. She was exactly like that all the time!
    I'm interested to know how you got her to focus on the trailer for loading as mine does the same looking around everywhere and then