Default Jumping bigger tracks -effect on the horse?

I've put on my brave pants and decided to take Amber to Weston Lawns in March to a stay away show. My YO and her daughter are going too with their show-jumpers. I won't jump Amber above 80 but they have suggested one of them competes her in some bigger classes to help her development. She jumps MASSIVE over small fences and their theory is that if she jumps bigger tracks she will calm down over smaller ones. Any thoughts on that? Apart from anything else I'd LOVE to see her strutting her stuff with a decent rider on board! But not if it is not in her interests. Or mine!!

Default Re: Jumping bigger tracks -effect on the horse?

Depends on the horse. Some jump big over fences because they just have a big jump. Others because they are wary of the fences and want to give it plenty of space.
    If the first case then not normally a problem but doesn't generally calm the jump until the horse approaches it's limit of ability (jump). If the second case it can cause all sorts of confidence issues with the horse.
    All that said, if you are only wanting to jump 80cm and they are offering to take horse round a 90cm / BN then I can't see a problem. 1mtr course (1.10mte jump off) I would not want to take a horse with any confidence issues.
    However, taking horse up from 80cm to 90cm is not likely to calm them either.
    Might have a pony to play with

Thanks for the reply. Horse does not have confidence issues but enthusiam issues! And yes she has a huge jump. So sounds like she will always jump big? Maybe I just need to grow a pair and get on with it myself....

They were suggesting jumping her BN to start with and assuming all goes well then Discovery. It's a 4 day show.

If horse is jumping disco height at home then possibly BN but remember jump off is 1.10 and spread on oxers is significant. Disco would be a step to far IMHO. I'd want a horse to be jumping 1.20 comfortably at home before doing that.
    Personally never been a fan of basically over facing a horse a bit to get it to back off. Too much risk involved if it all goes wrong. Patient training is a far better method, just takes longer.
    ATA
    This is a BN fence, note the width. Fence in background is part of the jump off
    Last edited by PaddyMonty; 08-02-18 at 01:44 PM.

Should say 1.0mtr is BN jump-off. 1.10 is disco
    ATA should be ETA

Veteran

Do you mean will it do her any harm physically?

I should think she will be perfectly alright to pop round a 1m course if she finds that easy enough at home. Some horses don't really adjust when young - they just jump the same height over everything from 75cm up to about 1m05

My girl often overjumps and that is just her style and she has a big jump. As PM said the main consideration is the width of the fences. Often if they jump too high they lose some of the forward motion, so may struggle with spreads. It sounds like they are being sensible though with doing BN and poss stepping up to Disco if she feels ok. Personally I think most horses are capable of jumping BN, but if it is her first big show then you might want to see how she copes with the ring and the atmosphere.

Sport horse

I would be extremely wary of your instructor suggesting she or her daughter take you horse over bigger courses in a competition venue to cure her of over jumping smaller courses. Not something I would expect to hear from a professional regarding a young horse in show jumping training to be frank, especially reading your history with her so far. It does seem like they are keen to rush her through the levels for their own reasons rather than take things slowly and carefully with your horse. If the horse is as talented as you say don't be tempted to let them rush her on, slowly, slowly will produce the best end result. At the end of the day she is your horse and you want her willing and physically able to compete for many years to come, they have no such end commitment to her do they?