Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Old nag

Default Re: What bit for keeping head up?

I like a NS Universal with 2 reins for your problem. I have found that the curb rein coming into play works well to remind the horse of its manners. Can you do more roadwork to try to keep her sane for a while longer?
    "Don't LET him do that"

The priority is this:

1: Safety of rider
    2: Horse’s training

And you can simultaneously train a horse while having control of it with an appropriate bit.

A lot of bits will help this issue and sometimes all the training in the world won’t curb a hot horse.

I have a Welsh Cob who is an absolute powerhouse and he is just far far too strong for me in a snaffle, even in the school. I never “bit up” unless I’ve legitimately had enough - he’s the first of seven horses I’ve ridden in anything other than a French link snaffle (now in Dutch gag as leans on the forehand and then goes).

I’d rather have in what’s perceived as a more severe bit and have to use it minimally than a snaffle which is in constant use and eventually going to cause a hard mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by equi View Post
    Maybe so, but when its abnormal to that horse then you need to look further. Even if they have had checks.
    It’s perfectly normal for a horse to have a buck and skip about when they’re back into work & feeling well. Billy never bucks under saddle when he’s in work or hacking but occasionally can throw a buck when he’s starting the canter bit of fittening, nothing malicious but purely as he’s feeling well!
    I suspect in OPs case horse is just fresh and needs a lever to help at this stage. Once into more work will settle & go back to normal imo!
    Smile and enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow brings!

Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Pearlsasinger View Post
    I like a NS Universal with 2 reins for your problem. I have found that the curb rein coming into play works well to remind the horse of its manners. Can you do more roadwork to try to keep her sane for a while longer?
    I currently have one for sale 5 3/4inch, pm me if you decide to go this route.

Quote Originally Posted by Auslander View Post
    some horses just like to have a buck and leap.
    Some more than others LOL

“You may fool all the people some of the time, you can even fool some of the people all of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all the time."