Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Sport horse

Default What bit for keeping head up?

I am just bringing my horse back into work after having the winter off and when fresh she can ‘launch’ as in sticks her head down and pulls forward, usually with a buck thrown in! So I am looking for a bit with some leverage to get her head up. She is soft in the mouth and quite often sits behind the bit. She is however strong in the neck and snatches down with some force!
    Once she is back in full work I know she will stop this, I just need something for now! Any suggestions?

Default Re: What bit for keeping head up?

That's a riding/training issue, not a mechanical/bitting one. FYI in theory a leverage bit such as a curb will send the horse's head lower, a gag-type bit will send it up. What will stop your horse plunging and bucking is riding forwards and possibly a one-rein upwards yerk. Good luck with that.

Sport horse

It's not a training issue! She's usually ridden in a snaffle and is extremely well behaved. She has however been out of work for a long time and this is what she does when she is extremely fresh! I suspect this will only last until she is back cantering and then she should be back to her sweet self!
    She is not able to lunge or do school work so we are straight out hacking so I want something to use for now to make things a little safer.

Veteran

i used to use a dutch gag with 2 reins and rode on the snaffle rein most of the time but had the leverage of the bottom rein in times of emergency which in my case was when i was thundering flat out towards the road, this just gave her enough of a shock to get her head up and back in control again....

Im weary of how you will respond to me suggesting its maybe her back/saddle, as thats not a normal behaviour with a buck included. Coretez answered your question but honestly i dont think a bit will fix this.

Sport horse

She's had a full body scan when finding out what was wrong with her. No back problems and saddles are both fine! I've had this horse 10 years and no this is not usual behaviour, but it is when she has been out of work! Yes it's rude but that's what she does, she coils up and launches! But I repeat this is not usual behaviour but it is when she is full of it! She is usually ridden in a snaffle with no martingale and is schooled to Elem/Med level.

Quote Originally Posted by equi View Post
    Im weary of how you will respond to me suggesting its maybe her back/saddle, as thats not a normal behaviour with a buck included. Coretez answered your question but honestly i dont think a bit will fix this.
    It's pretty normal behaviour for a sharp blood horse that is just short of work and very fresh. Bucking/launching isn't always due to a problem - some horses just like to have a buck and leap.
    Vets with Horsepower: Trans-European 'Play It Again, Sam' Tour 2012
    Raising money for SPANA; supporting the welfare of working animals in developing countries. http://www.justgiving.com/horsepower2012

Quote Originally Posted by Auslander View Post
    It's pretty normal behaviour for a sharp blood horse that is just short of work and very fresh. Bucking/launching isn't always due to a problem - some horses just like to have a buck and leap.
    Maybe so, but when its abnormal to that horse then you need to look further. Even if they have had checks.

I used a Cheltenham gag for mine that overbent (with 2 reins), he is now back in a snaffle as no longer overbends. He was never strong, other option is loads of leg I was told!!

Quote Originally Posted by equi View Post
    Maybe so, but when its abnormal to that horse then you need to look further. Even if they have had checks.
    OP says that she does it when she's fresh!
    Vets with Horsepower: Trans-European 'Play It Again, Sam' Tour 2012
    Raising money for SPANA; supporting the welfare of working animals in developing countries. http://www.justgiving.com/horsepower2012