Default Would gelding a 3yo colt stunt itís growth?

Sorry this is a super duper dumb question.
    I know most stallions are gelded early, but heís a 3yo (which I know isnít that late to be gelded), anyway heís obviously still growing & filling out a bit, and iím curious to know, if he is gelded now, would it prevent him from finishing growing? heís only 16hh atm. Or if waited until he is 4 would that be better?
    Also people whoíve had stallions gelded, did you find they lost their ďsparkĒ or did they make really nice geldings?
    Thanks, sorry this is really dumb.

Default Re: Would gelding a 3yo colt stunt itís growth?

Quite the reverse if mine is anything to go by. He was gelded at 2 years 7 months after being used at stud all summer, and he has done nothing but grow upwards and outwards ever since! His head has got tons bigger, in line with the rest of him. I bought a lightweight about 15 hands and I'm going to get a middleweight 16.1 !
    Small Print: The view expressed in this post is my own. You should take no action on any opinion given without verifying the facts for yourself. Like all humans,I can be wrong. Polite correction is welcomed.

No, cut him before the warmer weather.

Gelding makes them taller apparently.

Veteran

If you don't need him entire then I'd geld but I'd get on with it before the flies are back TBH. I have always heard that gelding makes them grow taller but leaving entire until 3/4 creates more eventual power. The vets when asked don't think it makes any difference. A lot of this sort of thing is old housewife tales and personal opinions.
    Riding: The art of keeping a horse between you and the ground.