Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Veteran

Default Re: Trot or canter into fences?

Those wings are usually 3'6", so 1.05mish

To the original question - I hate jumping from trot as get very disconcerted when there is no stride for me to see, but trotting into grids is a good exercise.

Like be positive, I'm not keen on sticking in trot too long and particularly not for courses - horses can get quite backward thinking and struggle to get into that nice consistent rhythm feeling when they're being brought back to trot constantly between fences (obviously for a very onward bound horse this may be desirable for a short period). But generally speaking, get the good course jumping canter right and the actual getting over the fence bit will naturally follow

I'm going to the yard with a tape measure tomorrow
    Three greyhounds are not enough..... I miss you so much Islay greyhound, always the most beautiful girl in the world

And the measure tape said......the grid we jumped was 95cm!!!! No wonder he felt AMAZING over the oxers

It’s great what you’ll jump when your trainer tells you to isn’t it

I like trotting and popping a hunt jump. It's easier for your horse to fiddle and gives to time to sort the landing gear out. You get a far better rhythm jumping a course from canter. Grids are great to start from trot, or just to a ground pole as it places you well for the grid of fences.

Quote Originally Posted by Lévrier View Post
    And the measure tape said......the grid we jumped was 95cm!!!! No wonder he felt AMAZING over the oxers

It’s great what you’ll jump when your trainer tells you to isn’t it
    Yay! Two foot thirteen! Much easier to jump than three foot one I can feel your smile from here.
    Small Print: The view expressed in this post is my own. You should take no action on any opinion given without verifying the facts for yourself. Like all humans,I can be wrong. Polite correction is welcomed.

Old nag

Ah sorry I meant instructors over many years rather than instructors with current horse Be Positive

Thank you that is really helpful, I will try and book some more grid work sessions as I know they are beneficial but are obviously impossible to do on my own! Jensen's canter is still a bit of a work in progress (although massively improved on how it was) so I think canter work for jumping will be helpful for him
    Not impossible to do gridwork on your own, I do it sometimes on my own - you just have to get on and off a few times! I introduce cantering jumping by doing gridwork, first ever exercise would likely be trot over a cross pole with one (shortish since you came in in trot) canter stride in between to another one. So he naturally does a stride of canter in between, then make it 2 strides in between etc.

I also have been to a Lucinda clinic and had to jump XC from walk! It made sense when she explained it.
    I think if your horse is comfortable to jump in canter then do so.

At what point are you ready to canter into show jumping fences when schooling?
    When I first start teaching a horse to jump. Canter is much easier for the horse so when introducing jumping I just get the horse working over a set of canter poles then pop a smallish (50cm) straight bar fence at the end.
    easy for the horse as poles control takeoff.
    Once horse has the idea of jumping I then introduce trot getting the horse deeper to the fence so it has to come up more from the shoulder and push more from the quarters. Also introduce cross poles at this stage as again encourages the horse to be neater in front.
    Once that's sorted I start jumping from walk.
    Never understood the idea of introducing a young horse to jumping using trot to X pole. Both make it more difficult for the horse than it needs to be.
    Novice riders are introduce to jumping form trot over x poles as the perception for the rider is they are more in control from trot and the x pole is lower despite the extra height the horse actually has to jump to get its width through the X
    Dressage good. Horseball better. Sailing now my thing

A jump is actually a modified canter stride so in general its easier for the horse than trot. Few show jumpers jump from trot.
    Personally with babies I trot in but allow them to break to canter a couple of strides out. For eventing it is very useful for a horse to be able to jump from trot as they may break on a hill etc.

But so long as the horse can canter I'd canter in, but would probably come back to trot between every fence to rebalance/keep the canter short, then pop into canter a few strides out, jump the fence and return to trot.