Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Trot or canter into fences?

Quote Originally Posted by iknowmyvalue View Post
    Trot is useful for horses that tend to rush and throw themselves flat over the fence in canter, because from trot they actually have to sit back and use themselves properly, especially if you're jumping a bigger fence. Like you, I really hate the feeling jumping from trot, but I do see the benefits. I'm also a great fan of only cantering a few strides out on a horse that rushes or has a tendency to get unbalanced and flat in the canter.

I'm always surprised how big horses can jump out of trot when they're actually using themselves properly! I've jumped up to 1m from trot, albeit unintentionally! Also for eventing it's always useful to be able to jump out of trot, because you never know what's going to happen out on the XC course!
    Trotting obviously has it's place but they have to learn to jump out of canter eventually, I am not keen on allowing a horse to canter the last few strides as it can encourage them to rush or flatten as there is no time to adjust the canter they set off in, again it has it's place but is something I try and avoid if at all possible, I prefer to have a decent enough canter that they maintain it all the way to the fence with as little input from the rider as possible.

Every horse and rider combination is different and training needs to be adapted to suit each partnership, I use a variety of techniques all aimed at getting them working as a combination, what works for one is not going to work for others although every horse should be capable and willing to jump from walk, trot or canter even if the rider makes a bit of an error they should want to jump what is in front ofthem and not be thinking of stopping or running out if the homework has been done properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Lévrier View Post
    I do recall Lucinda Green at a clinic making us all jump XC fences out of walk - that was scary
    Jumping from walk is a great way of testing your position it gives you taste of what happens to your position when things go wrong which is why trainers often like you to jump from trot ,the horses get closer to small fence jumping from trot and that tests the rider more .
    I expect horses to jump from walk trot and canter.
    I would not like to hunt a horse that I could turn off a road in trot and jump.
    There’s no reason not to jump in canter it’s just that jumping from trot and walk plays a role in training .

Sport horse

I like to jump from sitting trot if I'm expecting trouble Horse doesn't approve, mabey because it's harder for him to cause trouble. Otherwise I canter him, unless he's rushing.

Quote Originally Posted by mule View Post
    I like to jump from sitting trot if I'm expecting trouble Horse doesn't approve, mabey because it's harder for him to cause trouble.
    Amber is more than capable of causing trouble from trot LOL. That's a 1 metre oxer she's ballooning over. Trotting was meant to calm her down!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IM9KPlhLxM

Quote Originally Posted by Lévrier View Post
    At what point are you ready to canter into show jumping fences when schooling? I know it’s a basic question but you know me, I never mind sounding a total numpty....

Obviously I can see the reasons for approaching in trot - gives the horse time to look at the fence, more controlled, easier to keep the horse straight etc. But I hate it and much prefer jumping in canter.

After his schooling sessions with pro-eventer Jensen is great jumping - he locks onto the fence, never hesitates and enjoys himself hugely. So am I OK to jump him in canter when schooling?
    So many instructors have told me to always approach in trot I feel guilty cantering!
    Well a lot is down to the horse and how it approaches the fence, with my mare who was taught to zoom round at too early age, she rushes the fence and then knocks one down sometimes, so many times we have to bring her back to trot so she pushes from the back end as she tends to haul herself over.

When riding I turn a circle if she is rushing (well with last mare). With clients I do the same, teach them to come in steadily and balanced and in control and if the horse starts to speed up or rush I tell them to circle away and come again, or I put a trotting pole in front.

Sport horse

Quote Originally Posted by Ambers Echo View Post
    Amber is more than capable of causing trouble from trot LOL. That's a 1 metre oxer she's ballooning over. Trotting was meant to calm her down!!
    Dr
    She's keen

Quote Originally Posted by mule View Post
    She's keen
    VERY!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ambers Echo View Post

Thats reassuring - we have the same jump wings and have jumped that height, I thought it was about 85cm
    Three greyhounds are not enough..... I miss you so much Islay greyhound, always the most beautiful girl in the world

My waist height is 90 and this was well above my waist. So def bigger than 85.
    Incidentally I should add that isn't me riding. I am not that brave. She was jumping huge over 80cm fences so the idea was to ride her into something bigger to encourage her to back off a bit - have a little respect...

Ooooo I am excited now Jensen has scope I thought it felt pretty cool over the oxer.... yay!!!
    Three greyhounds are not enough..... I miss you so much Islay greyhound, always the most beautiful girl in the world