Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Navicular OCD lesion with small tear in DDFT.

What a charming attitude you have. People on here ARE being supportive and giving you FAR FAR better advice than your vet and farrier. Go your own way though. We'll still be here when you come back in 6 months time saying that horse is still lame and pts is only option.

No such thing as a horse that can't go barefoot. Please don't dismiss it. It is honestly the ONLY thing that will help your horse.

Quote Originally Posted by Uzzideleuzzi View Post
    Again, this horse cannot go barefoot because of his environment and his anatomy, three vets and my farrier all agree that it would be unfair to expect him to manage his injury and then cope with the transition to barefoot. I was more looking for experiences with people's own horses on prognosis and future.

I am disappointed with the response received from what I was told was a supportive and helpful place to ask advice, I am not discounting people's opinions but I also don't agree with them in this current situation. Barefoot can solve a host of problems but as you all know it is not the answer for every horse. I have worked in the industry for 20 years and do have my own experience but I just wanted to speak to others that may have been able to share their own stories.
    Your problem is that you are looking for a miracle.

The bare and horrible fact is that if your horse cannot go barefoot then his prognosis of returning to full work is somewhere near nil and any reasonable level of work maybe 20% at best.

Since this was not what you wanted to hear, I did not post before. You are being unreasonable in criticising the forum for not giving you support, when the syndrome you describe has a very poor prognosis in shoes. The success stories simply don't exist for you to be given them.

Can you put up the x rays? A cyst into the bone can be irrelevant. My experience is that a spur out of the bone into the ddft is disastrous.
    Small Print: The view expressed in this post is my own. You should take no action on any opinion given without verifying the facts for yourself. Like all humans,I can be wrong. Polite correction is welcomed.

Quote Originally Posted by PoppyAnderson View Post
    What a charming attitude you have. People on here ARE being supportive and giving you FAR FAR better advice than your vet and farrier. Go your own way though. We'll still be here when you come back in 6 months time saying that horse is still lame and pts is only option.
    What an incredibly hurtful comment. I'm a kind person and you have never met me or my horse. I will no longer be posting on this forum.

Not slacking-multitasking

Again, this horse cannot go barefoot because of his environment and his anatomy, three vets and my farrier all agree that it would be unfair to expect him to manage his injury and then cope with the transition to barefoot. I was more looking for experiences with people's own horses on prognosis and future.
    You need to understand that the reason you are not getting those experiences posted is that they haven't happened. The majority of the success stories on here are as a result of a barefoot transition, for all sorts of horses. You have then accused people who have taken the time to respond as unsupportive.

Now I am having a brainfart but there is a shoe produced in this country by a farrier which essentially is a half shoe with a pad that extends past the heel, this means that the back of the hoof can expand and contract as it should but while protecting the sole etc. Would this be an option for you? I shall try and remember the name.

EFC here you go.
    http://www.equinefootclinic.co.uk/Collapsed_Heels.html

What an incredibly hurtful comment. I'm a kind person and you have never met me or my horse. I will no longer be posting on this forum.
    Yes, it was a harsh comment and for that I apologise. Dont flounce off though just because someone/me said something blunt. You will get amazing advice and support here but only if you're open to ideas that are different than your current view.

Have you asked the vets and farrier what they could achieve in shoes that couldn't be achieved in hoof boots?