I see this has now resolved itself.
    How?
    Growing old disgracefully.......VERY disgracefully

Old nag

Default Re: Stolen from Caldwell, N Yorks at 1200 yesterday

Quote Originally Posted by The Fuzzy Furry View Post
    How?
    I am intrigued now!

Both with what happened and also where the hell is Richmondshire???! I assume it should say Richmond, N.Yorks.

Is it possible for someone who does FB to enlighten the rest of us, please?
    "Don't LET him do that"

Caldwell is on the County Durham / North Yorkshire border.

2 sides to every story so will report the facts.

The person who reported the post stolen has said the following:
    Regarding the bay pony that was stolen from us.
    Thanks to North Yorkshire Police , and cctv the pony has been found!
    Many of you already know that we bought the pony from Joanna Bailliss Fuller, and that three months after we bought her Joanna started calling us saying that she wanted more money for the pony, and she had sold it to us too cheaply ( 3000 more ) of course a scam we did not fall for. On 31st January, six months later, Joanna and her partner Gregg came and stole the pony.
    Thanks to North Yorkshire police, they found her, rather than have the pony back , we have decided that North Yorkshire Police should make Joanna pay us back the money that we paid for the pony. We have got our money back now thankfully!!!
    Apparently she has done this to people before.
    I think thanks to the Facebook campaign, and all of the sharing , plus cctv footage this would never have come to light. Thanks everyone for all your help and support through this horrific time, and let this be a lesson to us all! Don't ever fall for these scams, please, be very careful who you buy your horses from!

Johanna Bayliss Fuller says:
    The pony is back with her rightful owner in Essex. Me. Sadly she was hidden from me when I went to collect her and another pony from Jane and Simon back in August. I located and collected Aria myself. The police are happy I am her owner and have sent her passport to me in the post!

So who knows. I'm just pleased it's been resolved and has come out as a domestic dispute rather than a crime, if that makes sense.

What a bizarre story. So much for much loved pony being stolen, seems there is more to it than that.

I love the idea that North Yorkshire Police can "make" someone pay money back from Essex. If only it were that simple!

ETA - In the newspaper article, if I were the lady who is now established as the owner, I would be pretty tee'ed off at being described as "looking quite scruffy and unkempt." Probably just wearing stable clothes!
    Last edited by Red-1; 03-02-18 at 07:37 AM.

Old nag

Quote Originally Posted by ycbm View Post
    I hope they find the pony.

But for novice owners who think horse thefts are something to be scared of they very rarely happen these days, since passports and chips. And they never happen in broad daylight, with a very identifiable pair of people and an unusual colour car which is known locally. There will almost certainly more to this than we know, like an ownership dispute. Please don't lose sleep worrying about your own horse.
    And it is always worth bearing in mind that many so-called thefts are in reality a horse/pony who has escaped from its field and got into trouble in a ditch or thick hedge etc. Unless there is clear evidence of theft such as the incident above it is worth ALWAYS searching and searching again, remembering if you can't see him or her it doesn't mean they aren't somewhere hidden from view, such as in a ditch. Lives could be saved

So the origin of this thread turns out to be deliberate defamation of character by people who knew full well all the time who had probably taken their pony? Their story makes no sense at all. Who would travel from Essex to Yorkshire to take back a pony they have been paid for because they've suddenly decided it was worth more than they sold it for months before? They should be ashamed of themselves for scaring other horse owners
    Last edited by ycbm; 03-02-18 at 08:13 AM.
    Small Print: The view expressed in this post is my own. You should take no action on any opinion given without verifying the facts for yourself. Like all humans,I can be wrong. Polite correction is welcomed.

Quote Originally Posted by JillA View Post
    And it is always worth bearing in mind that many so-called thefts are in reality a horse/pony who has escaped from its field and got into trouble in a ditch or thick hedge etc. Unless there is clear evidence of theft such as the incident above it is worth ALWAYS searching and searching again, remembering if you can't see him or her it doesn't mean they aren't somewhere hidden from view, such as in a ditch. Lives could be saved
    Great advice.
    Small Print: The view expressed in this post is my own. You should take no action on any opinion given without verifying the facts for yourself. Like all humans,I can be wrong. Polite correction is welcomed.