Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12347 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 78
  1. #11

    Default Re: Horses killed on M4

    Quote Originally Posted by OldFogie View Post
    Don't forget that it takes two to tango. Most HGV drivers I see on motorways should not be allowed anywhere near one! They tank along in convoy inches from the one in front, pull out without signals or consideration etc., etc., yet they sit up higher than anyone else giving them an presidented view of the road in front but they still manage to kill folks broken down on the hardshoulder.
    In my opinion there is very little excuse for hitting an animal the size of a horse on a motorway - galloping towards you around a bendy lane maybe - a motorway no. Not even in the dark.
    That’s just taken the top award for the stupidest post I have ever read on hho
    Well done.

  2. #12

    Default Re: Horses killed on M4

    I personally would love it if this metal fencing was used its wire with intermittent pieces like this through it >> l l l
    If my fields were beside the big roads and

    along the road side of motorways wherever horses or cows or any large animal is grazed to avoid incidents like this. Many times you travel up motorways there is only 3 rails of post and rail between horses and certain death -0 and wee all know fencing rots and can get broken.

    I think this is a good idea to stop more rubbernecks http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ffic-jams.html

  3. #13
    Schoolmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    837

    Default Re: Horses killed on M4

    Quote Originally Posted by Clodagh View Post
    How sad. And very inconvenient! I wonder if it would be wrong to assume the colour and type of these horses?
    I live locally to there and it was someone's beloved horses so not the colour or type I think you were thinking of. The owners are distraught.

    A reminder to us all to double check our fencing and also to ensure we've got our public liability insurance etc all in place

  4. #14

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Norfolk.
    Posts
    21,082

    Default Re: Horses killed on M4

    Quote Originally Posted by ILuvCowparsely View Post
    ……..

    along the road side of motorways wherever horses or cows or any large animal is grazed to avoid incidents like this. Many times you travel up motorways there is only 3 rails of post and rail between horses and certain death -0 and wee all know fencing rots and can get broken.

    …….
    I owned and worked in a fencing contracting business, purely equestrian and agricultural up until about 6 years ago and I often drive on motorways and dual carriageways too and see livestock owners relying on the fencing which was put in place when the motorway was first opened, and very rarely maintained. Motorway fences, except at sites of specific risk — deer or badger crossing points, for instance, simply acts as a demarcation line. NO other motorway fencing should EVER be relied upon as being stock proof.

    Those who keep livestock of any kind and up against motorways should be aware of the risks. Just out of interest, I wonder who's actually responsible, considering that the land for ALL motorways has at some time been acquired by the route of compulsory purchase. Are the Highways Depts responsible for maintaining the fences on land which has been purchased - does anyone know?

    Alec.

  5. #15
    Schoolmaster
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    814

    Default Re: Horses killed on M4

    Quote Originally Posted by Alec Swan View Post
    ...... Just out of interest, I wonder who's actually responsible, considering that the land for ALL motorways has at some time been acquired by the route of compulsory purchase. Alec.
    As part of the cheeky one-sided deal you get when being turfed off your own land - you get full responsibility and liability for the fencing - in purperpetuity! My mate had his farm cut in half by the M25 and now has 10kms of rotten fence - HS2 have just turned up to build a "temporary access" it will be in place for at least eight years after which I can see another lot of liability.

  6. #16
    Schoolmaster
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    814

    Default Re: Horses killed on M4

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldenstar View Post
    That’s just taken the top award for the stupidest post I have ever read on hho
    Well done.
    So would you be an HGV driver or have one as close personal friend then?

    My post has quite a few words in it - do please point out the exact ones you are awarding the Goldstar to.

  7. #17
    Schoolmaster
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    814

    Default Re: Horses killed on M4

    Quote Originally Posted by ILuvCowparsely View Post
    I think this is a good idea to stop more rubbernecks http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ffic-jams.html
    This idea would be fine if it didn't take so long to put up and remove. I find the entire ethos prevailing at incident sites counterproductive - the concept of an open free use of the Queen's Highway seems to be put on hold so that the various brands of flourescent jacket wearers can draw themselves up their full importance. O.K. people are injured and humanity dictates we show them decency - even if they were the crazy cause of the damn thing but what's all that measuring and fifty blokes from umpteen "agencies" - while the life blood of the country sits waiting. I think there is need for a kind of Traffic Tsar (very popular a few years ago - we had Tsars for everything) I'd appoint guys who been in charge of aircraft carriers - they know the importance of keeping the damn runway open!

  8. #18

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Norfolk.
    Posts
    21,082

    Default Re: Horses killed on M4

    Quote Originally Posted by OldFogie View Post
    As part of the cheeky one-sided deal you get when being turfed off your own land - you get full responsibility and liability for the fencing - in purperpetuity! My mate had his farm cut in half by the M25 and now has 10kms of rotten fence - HS2 have just turned up to build a "temporary access" it will be in place for at least eight years after which I can see another lot of liability.
    Really? Blimey, that's a bit strong!

    Just out of interest, around about 1980 the town of Attleborough in Norfolk got a new by-pass which involved the compulsory purchase of land, obviously. I have it, not from the owner's mouth but a close confidant, that 18 years later and to avoid being done for inheritance tax, the 'vendor' left the money with Government and on deposit, taking only the interest. The sum, so I understand was considerable!

    Alec.

  9. #19

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Norfolk.
    Posts
    21,082

    Default Re: Horses killed on M4

    Quote Originally Posted by OldFogie View Post
    This idea would be fine if it didn't take so long to put up and remove. I find the entire ethos prevailing at incident sites counterproductive - the concept of an open free use of the Queen's Highway seems to be put on hold so that the various brands of flourescent jacket wearers can draw themselves up their full importance. O.K. people are injured and humanity dictates we show them decency - even if they were the crazy cause of the damn thing but what's all that measuring and fifty blokes from umpteen "agencies" - while the life blood of the country sits waiting. I think there is need for a kind of Traffic Tsar (very popular a few years ago - we had Tsars for everything) I'd appoint guys who been in charge of aircraft carriers - they know the importance of keeping the damn runway open!
    It's all to do with red tape, recording, measuring, assessments and slide rules …. and the upshot is that these reports tell us what we already knew — someone was driving like an idiot. There is no such thing as an 'accident' — every accident is preventable.

    Alec.

  10. #20
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    1,281

    Default Re: Horses killed on M4

    Quote Originally Posted by Squeak View Post
    I live locally to there and it was someone's beloved horses so not the colour or type I think you were thinking of. The owners are distraught.

    A reminder to us all to double check our fencing and also to ensure we've got our public liability insurance etc all in place
    So sorry to hear that^^

    Its one of my worse nightmares as I had a mare who took herself through a village and then cantered straight across the A4 years ago which still brings me out in a cold sweat

    Fencing is really taking a battering with these high winds and sodden ground

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Find Horses For Sale