Page 1 of 8 1236 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 78
  1. #1

  2. #2
    Old nag
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    12,282

    Default Re: Horses killed on M4

    How sad. And very inconvenient! I wonder if it would be wrong to assume the colour and type of these horses?
    We are in for a gallop, away, away,
    I told them my beauty could fly...

  3. #3
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,486

    Default Re: Horses killed on M4

    Yes it's getting to the time of year that horses are frequently loose on the A127 due to the grass going off. Rubbish fencing and hungry horses mean that there are certain stretches that I drive with extreme caution especially in the dark early mornings. There was a spate of nasty accidents a few years ago and tbf it has improved...

  4. #4
    Schoolmaster
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    992

    Default Re: Horses killed on M4

    Don't forget that it takes two to tango. Most HGV drivers I see on motorways should not be allowed anywhere near one! They tank along in convoy inches from the one in front, pull out without signals or consideration etc., etc., yet they sit up higher than anyone else giving them an presidented view of the road in front but they still manage to kill folks broken down on the hardshoulder.
    In my opinion there is very little excuse for hitting an animal the size of a horse on a motorway - galloping towards you around a bendy lane maybe - a motorway no. Not even in the dark.

  5. #5
    Old nag
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    6,173

    Default Re: Horses killed on M4

    Quote Originally Posted by OldFogie View Post
    Don't forget that it takes two to tango. Most HGV drivers I see on motorways should not be allowed anywhere near one! They tank along in convoy inches from the one in front, pull out without signals or consideration etc., etc., yet they sit up higher than anyone else giving them an presidented view of the road in front but they still manage to kill folks broken down on the hardshoulder.
    In my opinion there is very little excuse for hitting an animal the size of a horse on a motorway - galloping towards you around a bendy lane maybe - a motorway no. Not even in the dark.
    LOL what an arrogant reply ,lets hope your never in that situation on a motorway. Horses are at best unpredictable and not something you would expect coming towards you on a motorway. Just for your brain to digest most accidents involving lorries on motorways are caused by normal cars doing things they shouldnt.

  6. #6
    Old nag
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    8,361

    Default Re: Horses killed on M4

    Quote Originally Posted by popsdosh View Post
    LOL what an arrogant reply ,lets hope your never in that situation on a motorway. Horses are at best unpredictable and not something you would expect coming towards you on a motorway. Just for your brain to digest most accidents involving lorries on motorways are caused by normal cars doing things they shouldnt.
    Not to mention the fact that a lorry can't stop like a car can. They weigh a hell of a lot more and are very easy to Jack knife and cause a hell of a lot of destruction that could cover bother sides of the motorway if they start going sideways!

    Yes lorry drivers annoy people quite a lot but until you have driven one yourself don't make assumptions!

    P.s.this isn't aimed at your popsdosh! I hit the wrong quote button!

  7. #7
    Veteran scats's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2,290

    Default Re: Horses killed on M4

    Quote Originally Posted by OldFogie View Post
    In my opinion there is very little excuse for hitting an animal the size of a horse on a motorway - galloping towards you around a bendy lane maybe - a motorway no. Not even in the dark.
    Have you seen the carnage that can occur when vehicle tries to swerve or stop suddenly on a motorway??

    Much rather a dead horse than several vehicles worth of dead humans.

  8. #8
    Old nag fburton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    8,816

    Default Re: Horses killed on M4

    Quote Originally Posted by EKW View Post
    Not to mention the fact that a lorry can't stop like a car can. They weigh a hell of a lot more and are very easy to Jack knife and cause a hell of a lot of destruction that could cover bother sides of the motorway if they start going sideways!
    Yeah, not all lorries have high tech braking systems like Volvo (and others).

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vI9EIjUx20I
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WH4F7J7AAFE

  9. #9
    Old nag fburton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    8,816

    Default Re: Horses killed on M4

    Quote Originally Posted by scats View Post
    Have you seen the carnage that can occur when vehicle tries to swerve or stop suddenly on a motorway??

    Much rather a dead horse than several vehicles worth of dead humans.
    Absolutely. And if I could pull a lever to deflect a lorry or train away from people towards a horse (assuming that was the only choice), I would in a flash.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Horses killed on M4

    Quote Originally Posted by OldFogie View Post
    Don't forget that it takes two to tango. Most HGV drivers I see on motorways should not be allowed anywhere near one! They tank along in convoy inches from the one in front, pull out without signals or consideration etc., etc., yet they sit up higher than anyone else giving them an presidented view of the road in front but they still manage to kill folks broken down on the hardshoulder.
    In my opinion there is very little excuse for hitting an animal the size of a horse on a motorway - galloping towards you around a bendy lane maybe - a motorway no. Not even in the dark.
    Maybe you ought to think about what you say before you blurt out nonsense about something you do not know or have experience of. Have you ever driven an 7.5 ton or bigger??? Do you know the stopping distance of a truck going at an average speed of 50 mph?? I fear not. Where I am not denying they do tail gate but equally cars do it too so a bit rich to single out a lorry driver, as lorry drivers do long ours on the road, and more often than not when they do collide with a car on the hard shoulder they fell asleep at the wheel.

    Truck drivers have to be aware of everything around them but a horse suddenly appearing is not something you expect on the motorway. If there was a long line of trucks ahead of him how on earth could he see past.
    As yet we don't know that the lorry drivers were carrying as if it is dynamite they cannot make sudden movements. (Mates boyfriend carry's this), you really have labelled the truck drivers at fault without knowing all the details which is very single minded of you of you.


    My horsebox has a speed restriction on meaning I cannot go faster than 50mph If I have a horse suddenly appear in front of me I would have little chance to avoid as most likely I would have other vehicles around me and swerving would make me hit one of them, not to mention injuring my horses inside.

    As yet we do not know how they were hit as if they crossed from one side to another you could not have any chance to avoid and unless the motorway was quiet you would not see much as if they suddenly came on from the side, they stood little chance.
    Last edited by ILuvCowparsely; 27-01-18 at 01:25 PM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Find Horses For Sale