Default Lead ropes and bridles - help?!

Hi all,

I ride regularly at my local riding school and Iím now able to help out with beginner lead rein lessons there. However, thereís a question i always seem to confuse myself on - when I attach a lead rope to the bridle, Iíve been taught to thread it through the near side bit ring, under the chin, through the offside bit ring and then down and clip the leadrope back onto itself. The question is, should the lead rope go in front of or behind the reins? With a horse with a gag bit the other day it went behind, however Iím not sure whether this should be the case for regular snaffles?

Any advice is appreciated

Default Re: Lead ropes and bridles - help?!

Your leadrope shouldn't interfere with the reins, so that the riders can use them to give the aids. Leadrope should therefore, go under the reins, as you're looking at the horses head from the side
    Vets with Horsepower: Trans-European 'Play It Again, Sam' Tour 2012
    Raising money for SPANA; supporting the welfare of working animals in developing countries. http://www.justgiving.com/horsepower2012

so in front of the reins?

Quote Originally Posted by lissy__03 View Post
    so in front of the reins?
    There is no "in front of" or "behind" when the horse is wearing a snaffle bridle with circular bit rings.
    Vets with Horsepower: Trans-European 'Play It Again, Sam' Tour 2012
    Raising money for SPANA; supporting the welfare of working animals in developing countries. http://www.justgiving.com/horsepower2012

oh ok thank you

Old nag

I understand where you are coming from OP. Technically there can be no in front or behind because the rings are circular. But when you clip on first time - go in front of where the rein attaches. The check you've been taught to use is incredibly harsh so be careful to leave your lead rein loose unless you have to in an emergency. Most RS only use a simple under jaw check - not the double back you have been taught.

yeah, I know I didn’t word it very clearly but i didn’t know how else to put it hahaha. I thought it was harsh but didn’t want to say anything because that’s the way they seem to do it!! Will be extra careful thank you!

Old nag

If you are leading as a volunteer in a school the you have to lead the way they say. If you don;t and (god forbid) anything goes wrong then you could be liable. For now - just be aware how harsh that check is. As you get more experience just bear in mind that there are other places out there who work to different criteria.

You might want to look to doing your BHS stages at some point? I don't know how old you are - and I don't need to - but that is a great way to improve your knowledge. And you are asking the right questions.

Whatever the correct answer is, you have done exactly the right thing in asking advice.
    My 9 year old daughter is gradually dragging me into the equine cash pit of doom.... and I wouldn't change a thing!