Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bryony Frost

Just backed

Default Re: Bryony Frost

i think on the back of a horse women are on a level playing field with men, even maybe at an advantage due to the lighter body weight. I think until now we haven't seen women get offered the best rides as racing is a very traditional sport and the old timers owners and trainers still maybe harbour old fashioned beliefs that jump racing is no place for girls. I think we are about to see that change!!

Quote Originally Posted by KautoStar1 View Post
    I'm just reporting what she said.
    ?????? Don't understand this comment KS, I made it clear I wasn't taking about anyone on the forum?

Alec, dear, you're a dinosaur! Have you not noticed the number of women in Olympic eventing teams? You don't need a brute strength advantage when you have a horse!
    Small Print: The view expressed in this post is my own. You should take no action on any opinion given without verifying the facts for yourself. Like all humans,I can be wrong. Polite correction is welcomed.

There is a world of difference between riding one incredibly well schooled horse, without any interference from others, round a cross country course, and taking on a load of chase fences surrounded by a load of others, all vying for the best ground/best route, some of which don't even have riders attached.

Having evented and raced, I can safely say that race riding is the scariest thing (albeit the most exciting) that I have ever done. I wasn't hugely talented at either, but one thing I did notice was that in eventing it is perfectly possible for women and men to compete equally, and in racing it generally isn't.

Old nag

I just don't see why most of you feel thar Bryony should not be doing this. I am flabbergasted to be honest, and hope she does brilliantly well.

ETA I just saw more replies, and see that that is not the case, mainly just Alec and Henrietta Knight! (And KS seems on the fence) go Bryony!
    We are in for a gallop, away, away,
    I told them my beauty could fly...

Quote Originally Posted by Clodagh View Post
    I just don't see why most of you feel thar Bryony should not be doing this. I am flabbergasted to be honest, and hope she does brilliantly well.

ETA I just saw more replies, and see that that is not the case, mainly just Alec and Henrietta Knight! (And KS seems on the fence) go Bryony!
    I say good luck to her, I have no problem at all with her doing it, but I am responding to those people who think that women in general can or should be doing it.

My point is that if they could, they already would (as in other equestrian sports).

Old nag

I agree with Trules that racing is a male orientated, traditional sport. How many female huntsmen are there? Very few.
    Also I doubt as many women as men would want to do it, but I totally support their right to choose.

Old nag

I agree with Trules that racing is a male orientated, traditional sport. How many female huntsmen are there? Very few.
    Also I doubt as many women as men would want to do it, but I totally support their right to choose.

Quote Originally Posted by Clodagh View Post
    Who has said that they shouldn't have the right to choose?

Alec.

Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Rowreach View Post
    There is a world of difference between riding one incredibly well schooled horse, without any interference from others, round a cross country course, and taking on a load of chase fences surrounded by a load of others, all vying for the best ground/best route, some of which don't even have riders attached.

Having evented and raced, I can safely say that race riding is the scariest thing (albeit the most exciting) that I have ever done. I wasn't hugely talented at either, but one thing I did notice was that in eventing it is perfectly possible for women and men to compete equally, and in racing it generally isn't.
    When my OH and I were eventing, we had many point to point friends and we also rode out for a professional yard so knew plenty of jockeys.
    We found the eventers thought the jockeys were brave, or mad and the jockeys thought the eventers were. The eventers thought it very scary to have to think about all the horses around you and the jockeys didn’t like the idea of taking on a variety of fences alone without the added adrenaline of others with you.

Old nag

Quote Originally Posted by Alec Swan View Post
    Jump racing really isn't a job for girls,

Alec.
    That doesn't sound altogether supportive?