Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12347 ... LastLast

Thread: Bryony Frost

Just backed

Default Re: Bryony Frost

I think she's great. a breath of fresh air. And i hope she gets some great rides and wins under her belt. The times they are a changing! Exciting!

Veteran

Only just had time to watch this race, loved it! She sits so quietly and in balance and the horse just kept jumping in a wonderful rhythm. So clever to know you are owing the right speed!
    Her post race interviews are great, she just loves the horses and what they do.

Hen Knight was on RUK yesterday and while she was praising BF and other female riders, she was very much of the view that jump racing in particular was a mans game. Not because the girls werent capable riders, but that she wasnt sure the female body could sustain the injuries in quite the same way as the men, nor could the girls mentally cope so well with the injuries, short and long term damage. It was just her theory but interesting that for a woman who has lead the way in a mans world to still hold that view after all she has seen. She was keen to stress her view was injury related not ability.

Having seen the state of some of the men with smashed up faces, missing teeth, scars etc, it does make me wonder why anyone would want to be a jump jockey, but as a woman, would I want to end up looking like Id done 10 rounds with Anthony Joshua before I was 30 ?

Quote Originally Posted by KautoStar1 View Post

Having seen the state of some of the men with smashed up faces, missing teeth, scars etc, it does make me wonder why anyone would want to be a jump jockey, but as a woman, would I want to end up looking like Id done 10 rounds with Anthony Joshua before I was 30 ?
    I wouldn't want to fight on the front line either, but there are women who do.

I'm not sure how many men could cope with the injuries either, we aren't exactly talking about your average bloke walking down the street. I see no reason while a small percentage of women couldn't be as good as the small percentage of men who ride jumps now.

I'm surprised that so many people (not on the forum, commentators) seem to think men recover from injury physically faster than women. I don't think there is any evidence of that is there? They've got my records marked at my local hospital for the speed I knit bone at!
    Small Print: The view expressed in this post is my own. You should take no action on any opinion given without verifying the facts for yourself. Like all humans,I can be wrong. Polite correction is welcomed.

Old nag

Dehydration is a big factor in concussion, so hopefully women will be less dehydrated and more nutritionally supported and therefore less prone to that sort of thing.
    I do hope we have moved on from being perceived as incapable of taking on the boys as we are 'weak' and 'vain'.
    We are in for a gallop, away, away,
    I told them my beauty could fly...

Quote Originally Posted by ycbm View Post
    I wouldn't want to fight on the front line either, but there are women who do.

I'm not sure how many men could cope with the injuries either, we aren't exactly talking about your average bloke walking down the street. I see no reason while a small percentage of women couldn't be as good as the small percentage of men who ride jumps now.

I'm surprised that so many people (not on the forum, commentators) seem to think men recover from injury physically faster than women. I don't think there is any evidence of that is there? They've got my records marked at my local hospital for the speed I knit bone at!

I'm just reporting what she said.

Hen Knight was on RUK yesterday and while she was praising BF and other female riders, she was very much of the view that jump racing in particular was a man’s game. Not because the girls weren’t capable riders, but that she wasn’t sure the female body could sustain the injuries in quite the same way as the men, nor could the girls mentally cope so well with the injuries, short and long term damage. It was just her theory but interesting that for a woman who has lead the way in a man’s world to still hold that view after all she has seen. She was keen to stress her view was injury related not ability. …….. ?
    So at least one person agrees with me and a voice to carry some weight too.

Alec.

Old nag

Having seen the state of some of the men with smashed up faces, missing teeth, scars etc, it does make me wonder why anyone would want to be a jump jockey, but as a woman, would I want to end up looking like I’d done 10 rounds with Anthony Joshua before I was 30 ?
    If risking a scar meant to you could you something that you really, really wanted to do, and were really good at, would it stop you? Also, when you are 20 you tend to think you asre indestructable anyway. I must say I am disappointed with Henrietta Knight, perhaps she should now stick to show ponies.
    We are in for a gallop, away, away,
    I told them my beauty could fly...

Quote Originally Posted by Clodagh View Post
    If risking a scar meant to you could you something that you really, really wanted to do, and were really good at, would it stop you? Also, when you are 20 you tend to think you asre indestructable anyway. I must say I am disappointed with Henrietta Knight, perhaps she should now stick to show ponies.
    If you look at any other sport or activity or job that involves risk, you will find women doing those things and being at the top of their game.

There must be some reason why we have not seen this trend in jump racing. Even those hardy lady point to point riders don't make it on the professional circuit.

Quote Originally Posted by Clodagh View Post
    ……..

I do hope we have moved on from being perceived as incapable of taking on the boys as we are 'weak' and 'vain'.
    It has nothing to do with weakness or vanity, or women being feeble either. How many sporting world records are held by women where they compete with men?

Alec.