Veteran

Default Showing a horse with melonoma

Sadly F has succumbed to what I now know is a very common issue in grey horses, and has developed a melonoma ( fairly small, on one side of his face, where the saliva gland is). Had vet out for a consult and that side of things is ok/in hand.

On a more cosmetic note, I was hoping to do a few local shows this year, maybe try to qualify for trailblazers or Chiltern and Thames (ridden hunter). To what extent will his lump impact how we do?
    I'm a Wobbleberry! I'd love it if you could make a donation to show your support for a worthy cause.

http://www.justgiving.com/fundraisin...terWobbleberry

Default Re: Showing a horse with melonoma

If it is small it should not have much of an impact on your results, my show cob went to RIHS and HOYS with several including a slightly bumpy neck and they were never commented on, they were the reason he retired from the ring and unfortunately resulted in him being pts at a young, 12, age but my view is crack on do what you can while you can and if they do start to have an effect on him or your results then move on to other things.

Veteran

Thanks BP, sorry to hear about your boy. That's very sad, and way tooearly to lose one.

I'm trying to stay positive in terms of the health side of it, it isn't impacting him, he seems happy and vet wasn't concerned, but I am conscious of longer term impact.

Thanks for the reply. I'll see how things go. I'm aiming for lots of variety this year so we will continue to have fun no matter what.
    I'm a Wobbleberry! I'd love it if you could make a donation to show your support for a worthy cause.

Old nag

It will depend entirely on the judge on the day.
    "Don't LET him do that"

Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Pearlsasinger View Post
    It will depend entirely on the judge on the day.
    What's been your experience? Do you mean that it could be that we are placed last because of it, or less significant and it's the difference between say one place up/down? I realise it depends, but I'd be interested in knowing a bit more about what the chances are, or what people's experiences are, otherwise I don't have much to go on. Thanks.

Old nag

Quote Originally Posted by Bernster View Post
    What's been your experience? Do you mean that it could be that we are placed last because of it, or less significant and it's the difference between say one place up/down? I realise it depends, but I'd be interested in knowing a bit more about what the chances are, or what people's experiences are, otherwise I don't have much to go on. Thanks.
    Some judges will think the melanoma is more important than others do. To some it will be a minor blemish and will be judged accordingly, others will consider it a major flaw, because of the health considerations. It will also depend on the other entries and how much the judge likes them in comparison to yours. It is very difficult to tell you what will happen, I suggest that you test the water and ask for feedback from any judge you meet.
    "Don't LET him do that"

Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Pearlsasinger View Post
    Some judges will think the melanoma is more important than others do. To some it will be a minor blemish and will be judged accordingly, others will consider it a major flaw, because of the health considerations. It will also depend on the other entries and how much the judge likes them in comparison to yours. It is very difficult to tell you what will happen, I suggest that you test the water and ask for feedback from any judge you meet.
    Thanks PS. Yes, I was wondering whether it's more likely to be seen as a major health issue, like horse isn't sound almost, or a blemish. Also Wondering if judges get any guidance on this or if it's entirely down to their discretion.

We won't do many and they'll be local RC ones so I realise it could vary massively. Oddly I *think* I wouldn't feel too bad if we got marked down for that as I can't do anything about that really (apart from ensure he gets the best care I can give).