Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Finding the right horse - any decent, honest dealers out the

Yes Ive noticed this. All you have to do to add 5k to the price is post a few pictures of the horse at a ODE and then it can be sold as an 'Eventer'. Im certainly no expert when it comes to this but have been sharing an eventer which I have competed a few times. Lots to learn though and mainly I just want to get out and have some fun! Going to see a nice all rounder tomorrow that Im hopeful about. Fingers crossed!

Juliet clarke on Facebook
    Excellent reputation
    Not bought from her myself but i would
    Only thing is shes based west Midlands

Quote Originally Posted by TGM View Post
    Worth contacting Abby Buffy Hart of Hart Equine to see what she has in. I know several people in our hunt who have bought successfully from her, and she has a good reputation locally. She did have one in that would have suited you and was in your budget but I understand he has now been sold, but worth seeing what she has at the moment.
    On the flip side, this was not the experience I had with her. In fact WHW had to get involved due to the state of the horse we viewed I posted pics of said horse at the time and several others got in touch to say they'd witnessed similar at viewings. Nearly bought the poor thing out of pity.

Thank you for letting me know. Think Im going to wait and find something through a private advert. It seems finding a good horse is like finding a good man - people hold on to the good ones!

Quote Originally Posted by FestiveFuzz View Post
    On the flip side, this was not the experience I had with her. In fact WHW had to get involved due to the state of the horse we viewed I posted pics of said horse at the time and several others got in touch to say they'd witnessed similar at viewings. Nearly bought the poor thing out of pity.
    When you go to view at a dealer's yard, many of the horses won't have been in the dealer's care for very long, and often they may have been imported from, say, Ireland, so will have undertaken a long journey. So sometimes the horses won't be in optimum condition, but that is not always due to lack of care on behalf of the dealer. My OH hunted a horse from Abby's yard recently and I can certainly vouch for that the fact that that horse was in very good condition indeed and have photos to prove it.

It’s important to remember that private sellers can be more dishonest than dealers. I work in the horse industry and good dealers have far more to lose than private sellers if a sale goes wrong. Think about it if someone only has one horse and they are selling they’re not worried about the long term consequences of the sale. If that horse has injured someone or is dangerous, an unscrupulous person will still try and sell him on to recoup their money.

On the other hand a good dealer will no1) not buy that horse to resell as they can spot the issues a mile away. And no2) is very careful to guard their good reputation as that what future sales depend on. A good dealer will not do you as they want you to be happy and spread the good word about their business.