Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Finding the right horse - any decent, honest dealers out the

What level do you want to event at? As soon as you type the word 'Eventer' into a search for horses you are looking at 10K plus! But most perfectly normal nice horses are more than capable of BE90 and they could be priced as PC/ Allrounders. Many of my friends event (and are placed) at BE90/100 and none of them spent anywhere near 10K for their horses. Or even 5K.

If this is your first horse I assume you are not that experienced as an eventer unless you have competed other people's horses for them?

Another friend (also at BE90/100 level) has sent TWO high priced horses back recently as she was overhorsed. She keeps looking for 'Eventers' but she can't ride them!

As for honest dealers - no not in my experience. I've bought from 2 dealers with good local reputations and wouldn't buy from either of them again. Neither was honest about the horses. Then again private sellers are a nightmare too! The only time i have known exactly what I was getting was a word of mouth sale through pony club. I don't envy you - horse shopping is a minefield.

I would say that budget is fine, especially if you are happy to look at an older horse (so upwards of 12yo) which should get you an experienced horse that might be looking to step down to your level which you can have fun and enjoy. You see plenty of those for sale <£5k so as long as you chose carefully I don't see your budget as your issue. I would be looking at private sellers for that bracket though rather than a dealer as they *should* know the horse better.
    We have a dealer that we regularly buy from but I wouldn't recommend you going to them as theirs are mostly youngstock and I don't think that's what you're looking for.
    I used to be MagsnPaddy... but we no longer have Mags or Paddy
    Lily's gone missing... help me find her: Facebook Find Lilly

Veteran

I would steer clear of KHP.

Contact Kate Ludden. She events herself, and I have a lovely 4 year old from her Exactly as described.

Worth contacting Abby Buffy Hart of Hart Equine to see what she has in. I know several people in our hunt who have bought successfully from her, and she has a good reputation locally. She did have one in that would have suited you and was in your budget but I understand he has now been sold, but worth seeing what she has at the moment.

Have a look at Martins Irish Horses.

My horse came from them, he is as described and has turned into a fantastic horse. I know many Martins' horses and they are all fab and as described. They tend to have good RC/eventing types in and would be within your budget.

I don't think you need to up your budget. Most Horses can jump 90cm. Mine certainly could and she cost £2500 and was as safe as houses jumping.

Veteran

Hmm, private and dealers alike can be good and bad but on the whole I'd stick with private sellers even if it takes you longer. Google dealer names and telephone numbers, and check out the dodgy dealer Facebook group (if it's still going). The worst culprits tend to come up often!
    I'm a Wobbleberry! I'd love it if you could make a donation to show your support for a worthy cause.

http://www.justgiving.com/fundraisin...terWobbleberry

OP, how much riding experience do you have and when you say you want to ODE what sort of level are you meaning?

I’m assuming, as this is your first horse, you are talking riding club and/or low level BE (80/90). If so I think your current budget is fine and you will find something.
    It might not be flashy (in fact stay away from flash in your price range).

I would be inclined to try and find something without a BE record but with proven RC performance. You should get that for 6-7K, but then keep the remainder of your budget spare for training and extra help - that is often where people get it wrong - all the money is spent on buying the horse and then there is nothing left in the kitty to learn to ride it.

Youngster

Quote Originally Posted by ihatework View Post
    OP, how much riding experience do you have and when you say you want to ODE what sort of level are you meaning?

I’m assuming, as this is your first horse, you are talking riding club and/or low level BE (80/90). If so I think your current budget is fine and you will find something.
    It might not be flashy (in fact stay away from flash in your price range).

I would be inclined to try and find something without a BE record but with proven RC performance. You should get that for 6-7K, but then keep the remainder of your budget spare for training and extra help - that is often where people get it wrong - all the money is spent on buying the horse and then there is nothing left in the kitty to learn to ride it.
    Thank you for your advice, I am going to see one tomorrow and budgeting for lessons to brush up on my jumping. Ive been sharing an eventer that has in the past competed to a high level but he has an injury that has stopped me jumping him. Time to get my own now also. Ill definitely need to improve but Im fairly experienced having hunted and ridden most of my life. The horse Im seeing tomorrow is advertised as an all rounder. Fingers crossed!

Youngster

Thanks - think Im going to stick with private sellers now. Its such a minefield!