Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Yearling

Default Finding the right horse - any decent, honest dealers out there?

Hi all, After much consideration and many many years of waiting for the right time I have decided to take the plunge and get my first horse.

I am really struggling to find the right horse however. I want a good all-rounder (gelding) that is above all safe. Not after something sharp, spooky or silly. I would like to do some ODE's. I am really struggling to find something privately and wondered if anyone can recommend any good, trustworthy, HONEST dealers? Budget is between £5-8k. Ideally located not too far from Peterborough, but willing to travel.

Kent Horse Producers seem to have some nice horses but know nothing about them. Suggestions GREATLY appreciated!

Sport horse

Default Re: Finding the right horse - any decent, honest dealers out the

I have no personal experience but am fairly local to Kent Horse Producers. They don't have a great reputation locally.

Yearling

Quote Originally Posted by CMcC View Post
    I have no personal experience but am fairly local to Kent Horse Producers. They don't have a great reputation locally.
    Thank you - this is very helpful info.

Schoolmaster

If you put the name into the search box here on this forum, you'll find Kent Horse Producers have been mentioned before.
    I also have no personal experience, plus live a loong way away, and I remember that name! This forum permits no nasty details about any dealers, but if you look you will find info about facebook groups which can discuss dealers - it may prove useful during your horse search generally.

Agree with the comments above I personally wouldn't use that dealer as I have read of the bad experiences of others. Join the dodgy dealers Facebook page

Veteran

I can't help on dealers,but for a good, safe all rounder that will event, your budget is on the lowish side, even at the upper end, which is going to be limiting your pool of prospective horses. You might need to look at something older or accept blemishes.

Yearling

Quote Originally Posted by Theocat View Post
    I can't help on dealers,but for a good, safe all rounder that will event, your budget is on the lowish side, even at the upper end, which is going to be limiting your pool of prospective horses. You might need to look at something older or accept blemishes.
    Hmm this isn't what I wanted to hear but thank you. Ive been sharing for so long Im a bit out of the loop with regards to pricing. I can probably put my budget up by a couple of thousand at a push..... This might explain why Im struggling to find anything too.

Yearling

Thank you! I will get on facebook......

Veteran

It is certainly worth seeing what's out there at 10k - you'll quickly start to work out what's available in that bracket, and can work out if it's worth it for the extra cash!

Yearling

Yes Ill ave a look. I have seen much better horses at 10k but not looked seriously as above budget.... Might have to sell something to find he cash!