Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Haybar, haynet or feeding from the floor?

FDL gets it both in a haynet and on the floor. Usually i put less than i know she'll eat on the floor as she'll always approach this first & it saves the leftovers (if there was any) getting trashed once she's had enough. The haynet is there for her to pick at when shes finished/wants it, usually i only have to fill it a couple times a week though which is less work. Cob-alob had a hayrack which just got topped up as and when as he dragged it into his bed if on the floor - he wasnt particularly greedy so it didnt matter how much i would leave out for him, i never worried about him over eating. All the others have had haynets

Old nag

I have a couple of boards fixed across the corner, they were intended to contain the hay but as above, horses pull it out and redistribute it. A weight like a heavy log on top worked okay, these days I tie a filled haynet inside them and that works well. My poor doer TB won't eat his like that so he has to have a haynet tied to quite a high ring (well, he is 17.1hh ) - he seems to like pulling level rather than up

Feed from the floor. Better for their bodies and their respiratory system.
    Our online blog is just a click away @ www.facebook.com/DiamondsintheRoughDressage

Veteran

We've fed on the floor for years. The gelding crib bites and will crib on hay nets, which was not good for his teeth or our pockets as he kept wrecking them! They both live out now so easier to feed off the floor anyway. They never waste it, but they don't have ad lib as they don't need it - we still have a good amount of grass.
    O difícil está feito, e o impossível só leva mais tempo - Salgueiro Maia, 25 de Abril 1974

Quote Originally Posted by nikkimariet View Post
    Feed from the floor. Better for their bodies and their respiratory system.
    This, and for these reasons. I always feed from the floor. I just don't see how constantly eating from a haynet or any other raised platform wouldn't cause stiffness and soreness in the neck and back after a while.

I do both. If all the mare's hay was on the floor she'd be through it in no time - bit of a pig. So she has a floor pile and a small hole net.

Gelding just bites through haynets so he gets his on the floor and mashes it in to his bed.