Sport horse

Default Congratulations Nicky Henderson

In what has been an awful week for racing, some good news .. Nicky Henderson has been made a Royal Victorian Order Lieutenant (LVO) in the New Year's Honours for services as a trainer to the Queen's racehorses.

Old nag

Default Re: Congratulations Nicky Henderson

Very good for him. If, however, you felt there had been excessive fatalities and injuries this week perhaps you would not care overmuch if one of the chief protagantists was off to see the Queen?
    (Personally I love NH racing but this week has been awful)
    We are in for a gallop, away, away,
    I told them my beauty could fly...

Veteran

why do we think it has been such a disaster the week?

Sport horse

Quote Originally Posted by tristar View Post
    Sadly, there have been at least 13 fatalities this week, most at Leopardstown, but also including Nicky Henderson's Lessons in Milan this afternoon

Old nag

Quote Originally Posted by tristar View Post
    The numbers are probably average for the number of runners there have been. But this week there has been far more race meetings than normal with every race near full to the safety limit because everyone is off work and can go and watch their horses run and take the family.

Old nag

There have been 27 race meetings on since boxing day. 7 races per card (a couple of beach donkey derbies had 8) produces 189 races. Say on average each race had 15 runners that's nearly 3500 horses racing in 4 days. That's a lot of horses, a lot of mangled ground and a lot of Man power!

Sport horse

Quote Originally Posted by EKW View Post
    There have been 27 race meetings on since boxing day. 7 races per card (a couple of beach donkey derbies had 8) produces 189 races. Say on average each race had 15 runners that's nearly 3500 horses racing in 4 days. That's a lot of horses, a lot of mangled ground and a lot of Man power!

Until the last four furlongs, I had hopes for your Voyage a New York

Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by EKW View Post
    Your statistics are way of the mark, the average over the Christmas period is probably 6 or 7 horses per race but for whatever reason ground/bad luck/Mullins yard being out of form it has been a bad week for jump racing and Nicky Henderson getting an award hardly makes up for it .

Veteran

lot of mangled ground? sadly horses are made of glass, jumping at full speed ridden by, sorry to say this, but ridden by very young inexperienced men some of the time, we are not talking`clear round` here, its giving everything, including sadly your life.

leopardstown was some exhibition of christ knows what, battlefield springs to mind

Yes, congratulations to Nicky. I think he's a brilliant trainer, not exactly sure what it is he has been awarded, I haven't heard of that one before.

As for the fatalities, a really tragic week and I wonder with such bad ground at the moment, are tracks running when maybe they should be abandoned. I know soft ground is better for fallers that good ground but there have been too many recently.