Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Buying my first horse - confidence knocked!

I’m on the hunt for my first horse and it has been an ‘experience’ so far, to say the least.

Got put on two “bombproof hacks” today who I was told were completely suitable for novice riders. One was exceptionally twitchy in his stable then spun in circles whilst being tacked up, when I got on he spooked solidly at thin air for about 20 minutes when we took him out for a hack, so I asked to dismount. Swapped to the next “bombproof” option, a supposedly 100% safe happy hacker type, who bolted through an array of painful face-height branches when I asked for trot, leaving me shaken and feeling like giving up!

It concerns me greatly that a true novice may try these horses and if they behave on that occasion, get them home and something terrible happens.

It’s made me 100 times more anxious to try my next viewing, as a lot of trust has gone in what I read/hear from people. I really don’t want to be disheartened, how have everyone else’s experiences been?
    Last edited by TwiggyL; 29-12-17 at 08:29 PM.

Default Re: Buying my first horse - confidence knocked!

It could be that the seller is being dishonest or that you are making the horse nervous, how about taking an experienced friend or even better an instructor to ride before you do!! There are some great horses out there but remember they are not machines and have good and bad days like people! You do need to stay safe when trying them out, always watch it being caught (if possible) tacked up, ridden by seller first also get a vetting (unless prepared to take a gamble)

I hope that it was not that I was making either horse nervous, as I am not fazed by much and pride myself on remaining calm in most situations! I’ll just take this one as a learning curve I think!

I feel your pain, I went to see one " suitable for young children" would would have took your fingers clean off!

Quote Originally Posted by alainax View Post
    I feel your pain, I went to see one " suitable for young children" would would have took your fingers clean off!
    Not good whatsoever! I’m seeing this as a positive - I survived a bolt and hopefully during the course of looking will develop a much more superior sense of detecting anything feeling ‘off’!!

Do a lot of talking before even thinking of visiting to ride. I always spend 20-30 mins on phone when looking to buy even if very keen. I never mention which horse, always say responding to your advert. If after 5 mins they have no idea which horse I am not interested. Take a friend or instructor with you. Last year I viewed one and Sellars wasn't keen to ride - I am post 3 serious injuries and need a horse to stand to be mounted, hack out by self and not nap. All explained pre viewing. Horse was nightmare for her to mount and once in school reared and bolted. She was so rude that I wouldn't get on! Bought a frisky show cob who ticks all the boxes and has got me back jumping despite the odd buck

Did you see these horses ridden before you got on?
    Our blog: Cassie, Cam & Co. - the ups and downs of dabbling in dressage http://www.facebook.com/CassieCamCo

Quote Originally Posted by JDH01 View Post
    Do a lot of talking before even thinking of visiting to ride. I always spend 20-30 mins on phone when looking to buy even if very keen. I never mention which horse, always say responding to your advert. If after 5 mins they have no idea which horse I am not interested. Take a friend or instructor with you. Last year I viewed one and Sellars wasn't keen to ride - I am post 3 serious injuries and need a horse to stand to be mounted, hack out by self and not nap. All explained pre viewing. Horse was nightmare for her to mount and once in school reared and bolted. She was so rude that I wouldn't get on! Bought a frisky show cob who ticks all the boxes and has got me back jumping despite the odd buck
    Great advice - I completely agree about asking if “the” horse is available and seeing what answer you get. I turned up today and got offered three potentials...

Sadly my horsey friend didn’t come today as tricky time of year for lots of people - however, she has promised she will come next time! I have my list of questions at the ready for those phone calls!

Quote Originally Posted by niki Christmas bells View Post
    Did you see these horses ridden before you got on?
    They were ridden briefly (for 10 minutes or so) down an old railway track by a member of staff. To be honest she wasn’t bad before she bolted (It seemed the other spooky horse was scared by something in the bushes and so the horse I was on therefore reacted by bolting) but after that she was like a different horse, even when being led in hand back to the yard she was very twitchy.. the last time a horse bolted with me was when I was about 14, so a Good while ago! I forgot how scary it can be!

Just to add, as a final straw, they tried offering me a cob which had only just been backed, and had only been ridden out hacking to walk, trot & canter...never in the school
    Last edited by TwiggyL; 29-12-17 at 09:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TwiggyL View Post
    I saw a video of the one I initially enquired about and she was ridden briefly down the track by a member of staff. To be honest wasn’t bad before she spooked (It seemed the other spooky horse was scared by something in the bushes and so the horse I was on therefore reacted by bolting) but after that she was like a different horse, even when being led in hand back to the yard she was very twitchy.. the last time a horse bolted with me was when I was about 14, so a Good while ago! I forgot how scary it can be!
    Ok, well, next time, do not even consider getting on a horse you are viewing before you have seen it ridden for more than a stroll in real life. And if you don't feel comfortable about getting on it, just walk away. If this is your first horse, you really need to have an instructor/experienced friend with you as well, and perhaps get them to ride before you do as well. How long have you been riding and what sort of horses? Everyone on here will only want you to have a safe purchasing experience, but please remember this is a big decision and one that is easy to mess up. xx

Edited to add: I would also recommend you try a horse in a confined area such as an arena, before hacking it out.
    Last edited by nikicb; 29-12-17 at 09:39 PM.
    Our blog: Cassie, Cam & Co. - the ups and downs of dabbling in dressage http://www.facebook.com/CassieCamCo