Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Weaning but nowhere to separate.

Keeping one of them in for a day or two wont do anything, as soon as they get together again the foal will attempt to suckle and if the mare is still producing milk/full she will let him. It can take weeks for them to stop producing milk especially if the foal is still there. At this time of year and with his age, its not likely he will do anything to her so if i was you i would get some serious food into her and keep the foal off her during meal times so she gets the food and is not sharing it and make sure there is enough hay out for them both, and the foal is getting his own feed so he is less likely to need milk. I think at this age its more a comfort thing than a need for the nutrition so they don't suckle as much, but still the act of making milk is draining for the mare. And yes, they probably both need wormed again.

I would ask your vet for advise on gelding stating that he is with his dam and you do NOT want any accidents. Gelding asap will take some of the pressure off at least, but no its not an ideal set up if not only for the fact the colt wont get any other horse interaction and mares tend to be soft as piss when it comes to their colts.

Veteran

How about find someone in the same situation and put the two foals together and the two mares together?
    The mare will tend to go down hill as they tend to do the foals well at their expense, I would also have the vet out and check she is not in foal again.
    I think you have to decide what your long term plans are, quickly. Its really not a good idea to keep anything on it own. If she has been a brood mare she will have been used to living in a group. I know people who have kept mares and foals together long term and it means they become totally dependant on each other.
    I would try and find an experienced home for the foal, where they have age appropriate companions and get company for the mare.

Quote Originally Posted by honetpot View Post
    I know people who have kept mares and foals together long term and it means they become totally dependant on each other.
    This but i will also say it depends on the animals. My filly and her mother are close, and i did wean her a bit lazy like - she was separated and off her for about three weeks (both in other herds) then i just threw them back together. Neither cared either way and she never started suckling again and both can come away from each other without a care in the world. They are generally the two i stable together in the big stable cause they don't bother each-other and don't much care if one is taken away without the other. If they are let out to the fields, one might go to the top field for the day, one might go to the bottom field (my field gates run directly from the stables so they generally get to decide where they want to go) Either can be taken out of the field and the other will barely lift a head. I have never trained this into them, its just how they are..but im must be quite lucky

Quote Originally Posted by AdorableAlice View Post
    Send the mare to reputable livery or stud to dry her off and keep the foal at home. Bring the mare back in 10 weeks.
    That’s what we always did the foal will need horse companion .
    We settled the mare and foal in small group we removed the mare for feeding daily for a few days then one day just loaded up and left we never had a problem .
    Last edited by Goldenstar; 29-12-17 at 06:05 PM.