Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 35

Thread: Thistle-Who?!

  1. #11
    Old nag
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    In between the Midlands and the North
    Posts
    7,189

    Default Re: Thistle-Who?!

    I'd be absolutely gutted if anyone changed the name of my homebred. As Alec says, it was chosen with care. I'm angry that it is even allowed.

    ETA I like Chiffy's horse's original name anyway.
    Last edited by Tiddlypom; 02-12-17 at 05:55 PM.

  2. #12
    Old nag Rowreach's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    7,145

    Default Re: Thistle-Who?!

    Quote Originally Posted by Tiddlypom View Post
    I'd be absolutely gutted if anyone changed the name of my homebred. As Alec says, it was chosen with care. I'm angry that it is even allowed.

    ETA I like Chiffy's horse's original name anyway.
    I agree. I've chosen the names of mine very carefully, and they all meant something to me. Any future owner can pick a stable name of their own if they want, but I don't think registered names should be allowed to be changed.

  3. #13

    Default Re: Thistle-Who?!

    Love the name Beer Goggles....I will be following him through the season.

    I have an ex racer that was bred by The Queen. He's called Blantyre, not the nicest name in the world but I'm sure she chose it for a reason. I read somewhere his dam, Bella Macrae, was named after a character in the Queen Mother's favourite poem or book. I wonder if Blantyre is named after Captain Blantyre in Black Beauty.

  4. #14
    Old nag
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    12,076

    Default Re: Thistle-Who?!

    And what of the 'Hennessey'? Whisper ran a cracker, shame to be beaten by the Irish (no offence Irish peeps!). I was surprised both jockeys didn't get bans for whip use, it was not edifying viewing, but I see only Paul Townend actually got 2 days. Coneygree looks spent now, sad that such a talent seems to have faded.
    We are in for a gallop, away, away,
    I told them my beauty could fly...

  5. #15
    Old nag
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    8,296

    Default Re: Thistle-Who?!

    Quote Originally Posted by Rowreach View Post
    I agree. I've chosen the names of mine very carefully, and they all meant something to me. Any future owner can pick a stable name of their own if they want, but I don't think registered names should be allowed to be changed.
    Same, ours are always chosen for a reason. Their stable names are another matter! The foal is currently called Gummy Bear and she will probably remain that until she grows into her proper name - Calista.

    As to the Hennessey - Coneygree now has a wind problem. Last time it was bad light and an over reach (I can agree with the over reach but no the light situation). I haven't seen the race yet.

    Over at Newcastle Buveur D'air won the Fighting Fifth as though it were a bit of routine work. Irving is a stalwart of that race but every year it brings in a top notch horse. Last year it was Applesjade.
    There is a world
    Just around the corner of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And dreams come true.

  6. #16
    Old nag
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Wildest Somerset
    Posts
    6,666

    Default Re: Thistle-Who?!

    Apparently Faugheen watched Buveur D'airs race then went back to sleep.

  7. #17
    Old nag
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    8,296

    Default Re: Thistle-Who?!

    Quote Originally Posted by Dobiegirl View Post
    Apparently Faugheen watched Buveur D'airs race then went back to sleep.
    Aye 'cos he is going to need all the rest and sleep he can get to prep himself for chasing those Green and Gold Hoops up that hill!
    There is a world
    Just around the corner of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And dreams come true.

  8. #18
    Old nag
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    12,076

    Default Re: Thistle-Who?!

    Quote Originally Posted by EKW View Post
    Aye 'cos he is going to need all the rest and sleep he can get to prep himself for chasing those Green and Gold Hoops up that hill!
    Let's hope! I do hope they both get to Cheltenham safe and sound. And Altior and Douvan.
    We are in for a gallop, away, away,
    I told them my beauty could fly...

  9. #19
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    SW Scotland
    Posts
    3,434

    Default Re: Thistle-Who?!

    Sorry I opened a can of worms about names. This horse was not named by the breeder. He was named before going to Gorebridge Sales in Ireland as an unbroken three year old. We hope he will be with us for the rest of his life and prefer a name that means something to us. I am certain the original breeder has not tried to follow his progress.

  10. #20
    Old nag
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    6,156

    Default Re: Thistle-Who?!

    Quote Originally Posted by Chiffy View Post
    Sorry I opened a can of worms about names. This horse was not named by the breeder. He was named before going to Gorebridge Sales in Ireland as an unbroken three year old. We hope he will be with us for the rest of his life and prefer a name that means something to us. I am certain the original breeder has not tried to follow his progress.
    What makes you so sure of that?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Find Horses For Sale