Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Thistle-Who?!

Old nag

Default Thistle-Who?!

'He goes to Newbury and he's ready to win'

Uh huh! So what happened then? He got beaten by the majority of the field! Love the name of the horse that won - Beer Goggles - he's come a long long way since winning a crappy wee hurdle wound Hexham that's for sure!
    There is a world
    Just around the corner of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And dreams come true.

Old nag

Default Re: Thistle-Who?!

Beer Goggles ran a cracker. I doubt the Douvans and Might Bites are trembling at the thought of Thistlecrack in the King George.
    Those who subscribe to RUK - did you see the piece on Bobsworth?
    We are in for a gallop, away, away,
    I told them my beauty could fly...

Quote Originally Posted by Clodagh View Post
    Beer Goggles ran a cracker. I doubt the Douvans and Might Bites are trembling at the thought of Thistlecrack in the King George.
    Those who subscribe to RUK - did you see the piece on Bobsworth?
    Was it interesting? Bit of a local connection to me

He'd always stand a better chance in the King George with less weight on his back, I suppose.

Alec.

Old nag

It was disappointing I must admit but horses are not machines, the race was run at a very fast pace and all the runners knew they had had a race afterwards, by all accounts he had a good blow after the race.

I still think its too early to write him off, if his next race the KG he fails to fire then it will be obvious he is not the force of old. Fingers crossed he is sound as a pound tomorrow.

Veteran

Such a shame his career was interrupted by injury, it happens to so many. I hope he regains his form.

How do people think up these names? Beer Goggles, does it mean something?
    We recently bought a horse who had been named as a three year old You Will Go Walking, it didn’t relate to his pedigree. How awful was that ?! Luckily Sport Horse Ireland have let us change it, phew!

Old nag

Quote Originally Posted by Chiffy View Post
    Such a shame his career was interrupted by injury, it happens to so many. I hope he regains his form.

How do people think up these names? Beer Goggles, does it mean something?
    We recently bought a horse who had been named as a three year old You Will Go Walking, it didn’t relate to his pedigree. How awful was that ?! Luckily Sport Horse Ireland have let us change it, phew!
    Beer Goggles is when you have had too much to drink and someone gets more and more attractive. When sober you realise you were looking at them through 'beer goggles'. Awful name, I agree.

Veteran

Oh thank you Clodagh, it does mean something then!

Old nag

Oh thank you Clodagh, it does mean something then!
    My brain is so full of such useless trivia it is no wonder I cannot remember anything important!

……..

If the person who named the horse was the person who bred it, I wonder if they'd agree with you. Despite assurances from AES that if I registered my youngsters with them, they would not permit a name change, as soon as the horses were sold, they reneged on their agreement. Many of these registration authorities and AES are amongst them, claim to support British Breeders, but ignore one of the main breeder-complaints.

It's a constant gripe with breeders that the registration authorities permit name changes. In your case 'You Will Go Walking' must have meant something to the person who so named the animal, and it's only a shame that you decided against their wishes.

There is also a strong argument to support the person registering the name and their intellectual property rights.

Alec.