Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Thistle-Who?!

Old nag

Default Re: Thistle-Who?!

Quote Originally Posted by Judgemental View Post
    If Colin really wants to get his horses fired up, he should take them all out for an hour or so, with the BV with hounds speaking and a few hollers, along with much music on the horn about two or three days before each race meeting. Wires these horses up fantastically.
    Whilst we don't hunt our horses we do cannon about the farm with them for a few days before they run, it's amazing how much brighter and sparkier they are for basically playing cowboys and indians lol!
    There is a world
    Just around the corner of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And dreams come true.

Veteran
    The Internet makes one's location irrelevant

Quote Originally Posted by EKW View Post
    Whilst we don't hunt our horses we do cannon about the farm with them for a few days before they run, it's amazing how much brighter and sparkier they are for basically playing cowboys and indians lol!
    Delighted to hear that. Tootling on the horn works wonders too, but it's the hounds speaking that gets into a horse's 'hard drive' and when they get to the meeting with all the noise etc. they think they are out hunting.
    No matter how much one disagrees with a person, always hear what they have to say.

Not every horse is suitable for hunting though and neither are ground conditions. It's a great way to freshen up a horse that's stale, if it takes to it.

Veteran
    The Internet makes one's location irrelevant

Quote Originally Posted by KautoStar1 View Post
    Not every horse is suitable for hunting though and neither are ground conditions. It's a great way to freshen up a horse that's stale, if it takes to it.
    Agree but a little risk can pay dividends. I stress I would only recommend an hour or so.

That said, a hunt that indulges top quality National Hunt horses in those circumstances, can point to the economic contribution, the hunt makes to racing.
    No matter how much one disagrees with a person, always hear what they have to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Judgemental View Post
    If Colin really wants to get his horses fired up, he should take them all out for an hour or so, with the BV with hounds speaking and a few hollers, along with much music on the horn about two or three days before each race meeting. Wires these horses up fantastically.

May be pop a hedge or two with the rest of the field, although that is a bit risky with valuable horses, that are entered in a big race in a few days.

If I owned any horses, for National Hunt racing, I would not consider any other yard. Colin Tizzard and his brother Joe are masters of the art. None better, very modest and courteous. They would however, have to put up with my instructions to take them out with the hounds before racing.

In terms of a jockey, especially for the National only Whaley-Cohen will do.

Don't think I'd want to be going to the first fence of a 3 mile chase with my horse 'wired up'. Quite the opposite Id think.

Joe is his son not his brother.

See this is the problem, owners making instructions like this. Not helpful to the person who has spent hours carefully planning a training regime for a delicate TB to then be told to take it hunting, irrespective of the horse’s needs.