Veteran

Default Rekindling wins the Melbourne Cup

Upon waking this morning I was pleased to see that Rekindling had won the Melbourne Cup for young Joseph O'Brien.

I was reading something about all his achievements and he's only 24, I think I need to sort my life out!

I know some will probably say that he has had everything handed to him on a plate but I still think he's done a great job and seems like a hard worker.

Default Re: Rekindling wins the Melbourne Cup

I think four of the top six places were taken by British/Irish trainers.

2? for Joseph, and 2 for Willie Mullans/Rich Ricci...

RR is quoted as saying his expenses to bring the 2 horses over were about 300K, so I'm glad they've all won a bit of prize money...

Fiona

Fiona

Old nag

8 of the top 10 were European trained. The other 2 were Australian. It was an Irish 1 2 3 then an Australian with a horse bought from britain last year. 5th was the Scot - Iain Jardine! Very well done to him!

Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by EKW View Post
    8 of the top 10 were European trained. The other 2 were Australian. It was an Irish 1 2 3 then an Australian with a horse bought from britain last year. 5th was the Scot - Iain Jardine! Very well done to him!
    I didn't realise there were that many well placed European horses, that's quite incredible! Fair play to the owners for stumping up the cash to get them there too.

great to see Scottish trained Nakeeta coming in fifth

Yes, the NZ and Australian industry are all a bit sad this morning. The MC is the biggest race in Australasia, but still breeding and racing staying horses is not that fashionable. Small wonder the Irish cleaned up this year.