Youngster

Default Cough that wonít shift

I bought a 2yr old in April and she has been fine but has a dry cough that just isnít going, Iíve had the vet out who said it was a viral cough turn out as much as poss and gave ventapulmin for 10 days so she went out for summer and the cough started to go, only days we noticed it was when the weather got bad and it was raining constantly so rugged her and it seemed to go again, now that she is in for winter it is back not as bad as the start but itís just annoying her every now and again sheíll cough and it sounds dry, vet did say it could be allergy related maybe dust? Anyone have any experiences with allergies or how you found out they have them? Vet is coming back next week and has mentioned popping a camera down her throat to check that? Any advice would be much appreciated

Default Re: Cough that wonít shift

My connie came to me in April with a post viral cough and the only thing to truly shift it was time and 24/7 turnout.

Now I have brought him in again for the winter it is back slightly at the start of every ride, but my vet has checked with stethoscope and his chest is clear, so we're trying to go dust free as much as possible and hoping it settles.

He has previously had endoscope at the GP surgery and its a quite simple quick procedure.

Fiona

Youngster

Thank you Fiona for your reply, how long had he had the cough for do you know? The vet told me it can last several months, At the moment 24/7 turnout isn’t available on our yard but trying to cut out dust as and where I can I’ve been soaking her haynets and giving her wet feeds, I’ve also changed her and her stable buddy onto dust extracted shavings rather than straw incase this was also annoying her x

From we got him in early April for 2 months I'd say, not sure when he had the virus. Sometime over the previous winter, and moving house/having first vaccs re activated it.

There are loads of good dust tips on my thread from last week if you look on my profile, and started threads.

Fiona

Switching to haylage was a miracle cure for my long term and deteriorating cougher. He had a lot of vet treatment and investigations, and I had invested in a Flexi neb inhaler, all to very little effect. I was feeding soaked or steamed hay, and he was out 24 hrs. But within a week of removing all hay from the yard and giving good meadow haylage, the cough was all but gone. He was clearly allergic to the dust/polen/spores despite the steaming. (It was a home made steamer).