Sport horse

Default What to do with gypsy cob mane

I have a gypsy cob with a big double mane and long forelock that goes to tip of his nose. We are going to the area festivals next month and I'm not sure how best to do his hair!? I can do a running plait for the mane but should I plait the forelock and leave it down or loop it back to join the mane? Or leave it loose? Or should I leave everything loose? What do judges prefer? because I feel hair out the way is probably better for seeing his shape etc but then the forelock just looks a bit sad plaited by itself. Its too big to loop up in a normal plait.
    Thanks

Schoolmaster

Default Re: What to do with gypsy cob mane

Whichever you prefer. I used to complete an Arab and I did a running plant in his mane and left his forelock loose if I could be bothered, or just left the whole lot. It shouldn't make any difference to the judge.

I leave Casper's mane loose as there is just too much of it even for a running plait. I plait his forelock though, as he can't see where he's going otherwise

I'll be doing the same at the Quest Regionals and the TGCA Championships
    Please check out the adventures of Brynceri Rex, Welsh Section C colt! https://www.facebook.com/AsboPony

Judges vary though it is a bit easier to see working properly over the back if you can see the neck muscles, if it were me I would do a running plait.
    Late to horse riding but making up for lost time!

Veteran

What about a lattice? I've seen horses plaited both sides too if they have thick manes. I don't think Judges mind too much as long as you have made th effort to be well turned out and their view isn't obstructed. Have you tried looking up photos from previous years to see what people with similar horses have done in the past?

Veteran

I do a running plait in my fell's mane and leave the forelock loose. I think it looks smart and he's been to area festivals, regionals and the winter champs like that.