Thread: Drop nosebands

Default Drop nosebands

The last 18 months I have ridden my horse in a Micklem bridle. I originally bought it because I liked the anatomical headpiece and the fact it stayed off the facial nerves, and he goes well in it.
    We are now competing affiliated dressage and starting to move up the levels and i would like to have a better bridle for competing in as eventually the plan will be a double bridle.
    I already have a lovely double (stubben) that I used for my old horse so I would like to use this and it suits my horse.
    However as he seems settled with the Micklem, is it worth getting a drop noseband? He doesn't need his mouth shut, but does seem to like the support the Micklem gives the bit. This way I could use my double as a nice show bridle (single bit at the moment). Thoughts?
    Also any ideas on where to get a nice drop?
    Thanks in advance 😁

Default Re: Drop nosebands

Putting a drop onto a normal bridle will not give the same stability as the Micklem so I would stick with what is working for now, if and when he is ready to move into the double then he will have to be in a cavesson anyway so you can use the Stubben then.

I too cannot see any benefit in doing that; keep him in the Micklem until he's ready for the double, you cant use a drop with the double any way.

Although dont feel obliged to swap to the double, a friend of mine competes advanced in the Micklem
    OakTreePippLongstockings && OaktreeSuperNova

Quote Originally Posted by LeannePip View Post
    I too cannot see any benefit in doing that; keep him in the Micklem until he's ready for the double, you cant use a drop with the double any way.

Although dont feel obliged to swap to the double, a friend of mine competes advanced in the Micklem
    This!
    Late to horse riding but making up for lost time!