Veteran

Default Laminitis or not?

Farrier came today to do big cobs feet, he is not shod. Both front feet show a red line at front of hoof now that he's been trimmed, farrier says hes not got laminitis. He's never had laminitis in the 9 years Ive had him and has not shown any signs. what else could have caused this ? He was on steroids for two months April/May which I believe can cause laminitis. I feel terrible that I didn't notice anything.

Not slacking-multitasking

Default Re: Laminitis or not?

Possibly the steroids,
    mine gets red marks if he is wormed with moxidectin and as a result of his vaccinations, not been an issue with steroids for him, he has never had laminitis but it is interesting to see what does seem to be able to affect and upset the connection. I only notice the bruising because Frank's hinds are very white, and now I sort of know when to expect it.

Old nag

If your farrier says it is not laminitis, it most likely isn't. IME farriers are very hot on laminitis - probably because they are called in by vets to treat it. It sounds like bruising. What did the farrier say it is?
    Incidentally we have on who is periodically on steroids for RAO, vet assures us that steroid induced laminitis isn't really 'a thing' - and although pretty old school, he keeps up with the latest research
    "Don't LET him do that"

Veteran

Farrier first thought he had been kicking something like stable door, but hes not in and nothing in the field. He's not the sort of horse that's ever kicked doors etc. Then he saw it was the same in the other foot. There is a small indentation at the top of both hooves at about 2 months growth he stopped his steroids end of May , so wondering if its something to do with that. He has arthritis so is sometimes bit stiff but never seen signs of laminitis. Of course now the grass has been sprinting way due to the wet weather Im a bit anxious !